Initial report due today into Lewes train derailment

Rail Accident Investigation Board to publish findings at lunchtime

The site before carriages were removed
Author: Richard MuriePublished 13 hours ago

An interim report into the Lewes train derailment is due to be published this lunchtime.

A Southern train derailed on Thursday, with East Sussex Fire & Rescue helping at the scene yesterday when carriages were removed.

Carriages slid part-way down an embankment close to a river in a site of special scientific interest and restricted road access via a residential area, so the operation to recover the train has been tricky.

18 passengers who had been treated in hospital have been released with two people seriously injured continuing to receive treatment - their injuries are not now classed as life-threatening.

A statement from Network Rail and Southern Rail on Sunday said: “The railway between Lewes and Haywards Heath will remain closed for at least another ten days while teams recover the derailed train and begin repairs to the railway.

“Customers travelling next week, and in the weeks ahead, are advised to check before they travel and, where possible, use alternative train services via Brighton.

“Rail replacement buses will run between Lewes and Haywards Heath, serving Cooksbridge and Plumpton. These buses have limited capacity, so customers travelling to other stations should travel via Brighton instead.”

John Whitehurst, chief executive of Greater Thameslink Railway (GTR), which operates Southern Railway, said: “We recognise the impact this incident will have on customers’ journeys in the days ahead, and we’re working closely with Network Rail to do everything we can to keep customers moving while recovery work continues and the railway is restored safely.

“We know this recovery effort is not only affecting rail customers, but also local communities around Lewes, and I’d like to thank them for their patience and understanding while our teams work to restore the railway.”