Temporary speed limit on Orwell Bridge to remain in place

A 40mph was introduced last month after a crash damaged the central barriers

Author: Matt SoanesPublished 6th Jun 2023

A temporary speed limit on the Orwell Bridge is to remain in place until later this month, despite highways bosses previously saying it would last just two weeks.

Vehicles on a section of the A14 have been limited to 40mph after a crash last month, which damaged the barriers in the central reservation.

A lorry and a car were involved in the incident on May 9.

National Highways now says work will start on June 15 and should take around a week to complete.

A National Highways spokesperson said: "The central barrier is scheduled for repair on the 15 June and this is expected to take around seven days."

"Once the work is complete, the temporary speed restriction - which has been in place since the barrier was badly damaged during a collision involving a HGV on the 9th May - is expected to be lifted.

"Due to the complexity of the repair, specialist parts were needed which has meant the temporary speed restriction has remained in place for a number of weeks.

"This has been for the safety of those using the bridge and we appreciate road users patience while this issue is resolved.ā€

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.