£20k reward for information in Ipswich murder investigation as three bailed

Two teenagers and a 41-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and drug offenses.

William McNicholl
Author: Shaunna BurnsPublished 2nd Apr 2025
Last updated 2nd Apr 2025

Three people who were arrested in connection with the murder of a man in Ipswich have been bailed.

Officers were called to an address in Hawthorn Drive, Ipswich shortly before 6pm on Wednesday 1 January. A man was sadly found deceased within the property.

Subject to confirmation at formal inquest proceedings, the man has been identified as William McNicholl, known as Billy, aged 63 years, from Ipswich.

Preliminary results from a Home Office post-mortem indicated the cause of death as being from head injuries and a single stab wound.

A murder inquiry into Billy’s death continues to be led by Suffolk Constabulary’s Major Investigation Team.

Yesterday, Tuesday 1 April, three people were arrested as part of the investigation.

A 17-year-old boy, 18-year-old man and 41-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and being concerned in the supply of Class A and B drugs.

They were taken to Martlesham Police Investigation Centre for questioning. They were subsequently bailed to return to police on 1 July.

Detective Inspector Mark Hughes said: “A large number of officers have been involved in the investigation and many people, including residents in the Hawthorn Drive area and surrounding streets, have either contacted us or have been spoken to by our officers. However, if anyone has any information that they are yet to share with police, I would ask them to do so, to help us find out what happened to Billy.”

“Our enquiry into his death and the work to bring those responsible to justice continues.”

The charity Crimestoppers, which is independent to the police, is offering a reward of up to £20,000 for information given to them 100% anonymously that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for his death.

The reward is only payable for information passed directly to Crimestoppers, rather than the police.

Phil Breckon, Regional Manager at the charity Crimestoppers, said: “Our charity is offering a reward of up to £20,000 for information given exclusively to us that leads to the arrest, charge and conviction of anybody responsible for Billy’s murder.

“If you have information, however small, please speak up and tell Crimestoppers 100% anonymously. If you prefer not to talk to the police, you can tell us what you know, and we’ll pass it on for you. We are independent of the police and won’t ask for any personal details, there’ll be no police contact or witness statements, and you won’t have to go to court. Nobody will know you contacted us.”

The reward will expire on 30 April 2025. For more information regarding the Crimestoppers reward, please visit the charity’s website.

On 22 January a 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of murder. He was taken to Martlesham Police Investigation Centre for questioning. He was bailed with conditions and will now return to police on Tuesday 22 April.

A woman aged in her 50s, who was previously arrested on suspicion of murder before being released on bail, has been told she will face no further action.

Officers continue to appeal for anyone with any information to contact police.

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.