Operation Stovewood: man convicted of rape of teenager in Rotherham 20 years ago

The 45 year old was also convicted over another serious sexual assault in 2008.

Riyasth Hussain
Author: Matt SoanesPublished 17th Feb 2026

A Rotherham man has been convicted of the rape of a teenage girl in the town around 20 years ago.

45 year old Riyasth Hussain, who also went by the name 'Riaz', was identified as part of Operation Stovewood, the National Crime Agency's investigation into child sexual abuse in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013.

Hussain was arrested after his victim, now in her 30s, came forward to police to report what happened to her between the years 2004 and 2006, when she was around 13.

The woman told officers she was first picked up by Hussain in the town centre when she was being verbally abused by another man.

Hussain, then around 24, offered to help her but ended up driving her to an industrial estate before raping her.

He also attacked her a second time after arranging to meet up again.

Riyasth Hussain was also linked to an attack on another woman in 2008, where a woman was raped while staying at a friend's house.

Today (February 17) Hussain was convicted of raping both victims following a week long trial at Sheffield Crown Court.

Liz Fell, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “Riyasth Hussain preyed on two extremely vulnerable victims and exploited them for his own sexual gratification.

“One of his victims was only 13- to 14-years-old during this offending. She was living in the care system and had been groomed and sexually exploited by many other men, when Hussain targeted her. Hussain took her in his car to secluded locations to rape her on two separate occasions. His other victim he raped in front of a group of others, causing extreme distress.

“The cruelty and abuse the victims suffered at the hands of Hussain was horrific, causing a lasting impact on their lives today.

“It has been extremely difficult for both victims to come forward and give evidence but they have done so with tremendous courage allowing us to bring this offender to justice.

“I hope these convictions send a clear message that the CPS, working closely alongside law enforcement, will relentlessly pursue justice and prosecute those who sexually exploit children and adults, whenever that abuse took place.

“All children and women have the right to feel safe. I encourage anyone who has been in a similar position to come forward to report these incidents to the police. It is never too late to seek justice - you are not alone and there is help available.”

Hussain will be sentenced on Thursday (February 19).

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.