‘What’s changed?’ – Confusion as Doncaster Dome reopens after £15m+ refurb

Visitors to The Dome leisure centre were left wondering what had changed when the site’s pool facilities, known as the Lagoons, recently reopened.

The Lagoons at Doncaster Dome
Author: Harry Harrison, Local Democracy Reporting ServicePublished 22nd May 2026

The City of Doncaster Council has issued a fresh statement after the unveiling of a £15million refurbishment of The Dome was met with backlash online.

Visitors to The Dome leisure centre were left wondering what had changed when the site’s pool facilities, known as the Lagoons, recently reopened.

When the refurb got underway the Mayor of Doncaster, Ros Jones, shared artist impressions online of what The Dome could soon look like, but those plans never materialised, with an initial statement from the council suggesting most work had been done “behind-the-scenes”.

A spokesperson for the council responded to the online backlash.

They said: “Work at Doncaster Dome has included refurbishment of the lagoons, flumes and the changing rooms areas, as well as many vital behind the scenes upgrades to ensure the centre remains functional including mechanical and electrical system upgrades and significant replacement of the glazed roof in areas such as the entrance and foyer.

“Many of the upgrades were vital to meet the site’s Grade II listing status, which was awarded in 2023.

“Artist impressions that were shared at the early stage of the project, including the concept of an outdoor splash area, weren’t finalised plans at that time and following further feasibility studies were later not adopted.”

The spokesperson said the council had had a positive response to the reopening “through bookings received,”adding: “We know swimmers are keen to enjoy visiting the Dome pool once more.”

The Lagoons had been closed for 18 months as the refurbishment took place, which Doncaster Council invested more than £15m into.

It reopened on Friday, May 22, 2026, in time for the half-term break.

The Dome, run by the Doncaster Culture and Leisure Trust on behalf of the council, is home to numerous leisure facilities, including a gym, which has received criticism in recent months from two teenage regulars for being “unsafe” and “unsanitary”.

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.