More buildings on Dinnington High Street to be demolished as regeneration date confirmed

Several units on Laughton Road are set to be bulldozed, rather than refurbished

One of the derelict units now set for demolition
Author: Danielle Andrews, Local Democracy Reporting ServicePublished 1 day ago

The remainder of the units on Dinnington’s High Street will now be demolished rather than refurbished under revised regeneration plans, Rotherham Council has confirmed.

The change means additional units on Laughton Road, which were previously earmarked for refurbishment, will instead be demolished and rebuilt after surveys found they were in a worse condition than first anticipated.

The revised approach comes as demolition of the fire-damaged former florists and dance studio is set to begin on February 23, after RMBC appointed Ron Hull Demolition to carry out the work.

The council said fully demolishing and rebuilding the remaining buildings would deliver a safer and higher-quality development for businesses, while also avoiding costly refurbishment work in the future.

The start of demolition follows the council’s acquisition of properties in the area last year as part of the wider regeneration of Dinnington town centre.

Revised plans for the replacement buildings are expected to be submitted for planning approval later this month. A tender process to appoint a main contractor will begin shortly, with construction work anticipated to start on site in the summer.

The wider £12m redevelopment of Dinnington High Street includes proposals for a new public square with a flexible, pack-away market, purpose-built commercial units aimed at supporting local businesses, and improved pedestrian links between transport hubs and the high street.

Councillor John Williams, cabinet member for transport, jobs and the local economy, said the decision marked “a significant milestone” for the town.

He said: “Our decision to demolish and rebuild the remaining buildings rather than refurbish them means residents, businesses and visitors can expect a brand-new development to be proud of.

“Rebuilding the units now will also help ensure the regeneration of the high street is as cost-effective as possible and avoids more expensive refurbishment work later on.”

Demolition work is expected to be completed by March, with work on the new development due to begin in the summer.

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.