Barnsley Council officially scraps plans for two new SEND schools

The authority has decided to boost the number of SEND places in existing schools instead

Author: Danielle Andrews, Local Democracy Reporting ServicePublished 21 hours ago

Plans for two new government-backed schools for children with special educational needs in Barnsley have been scrapped, after councillors approved an alternative approach aimed at delivering new places much sooner.

At a cabinet meeting on Wednesday, February 18, Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council agreed to withdraw from proposals for two new free schools and instead accept £9.4m of government funding to create around 200 new specialist education places across the borough.

The council had previously supported plans for a new special free school, Inspire Academy, to be run by Ethos Academy Trust in partnership with Sheffield Council, alongside a new alternative provision free school led by Delta Academies Trust.

However, a report to cabinet said waiting for the new schools to be built could delay much-needed places until the end of the decade.

Instead, the council will take £9.4m from the Department for Education to expand and create specialist provision within existing schools and settings.

The funding includes £4.7m for special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) provision and £4.7m for alternative provision, with the aim of delivering around 100 SEND places and 100 alternative provision places from next year, with some potentially opening sooner.

Council officers said demand for specialist places is rising sharply. As of January 2026, 136 children were waiting for a special school place, with others in temporary arrangements due to a lack of local provision.

They warned that sticking with the free school projects could mean new places would not be available until 2029 or 2030, prolonging the use of costly out-of-borough placements.

Under the new approach, funding will be used to expand specialist units within mainstream schools, create additional specialist places and strengthen alternative provision for pupils unable to attend mainstream education.

Councillors said the decision would allow the council to respond more quickly to rising demand, while still increasing the number of specialist places available locally.

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.