North Yorkshire sexual abuse charity calls for increased funding amid rising demand

Survive currently has 300 people on its waiting list

Author: Kathy GreenPublished 9th Feb 2026

Survive, the North Yorkshire charity dedicated to supporting adult survivors of sexual violence and abuse, is struggling to cope with increasing demand due to limited funding.

it specialises in services such as support work, counselling, trauma therapy, and EMDR psychotherapy,

CEO Mags Godderidge said: “Our waiting list has been closed since the 23rd of May to new referrals, and we need to secure more funds to get it reopened."

"We did recently have an announcement from the Ministry of Justice of some funding to come through in April, which will help, but it will not be the full solution for us.”

Impact of limited funding

The organisation’s waiting list peaked at 700 people in May, highlighting the demand for its specialist services. Although Survive has managed to reduce the waiting list to around 300, the need for long-term strategic funding remains acute.

Godderidge emphasized the importance of financial support in enabling survivors to heal and rebuild their lives, which in turn alleviates pressure on other systems like health and mental health services.

“It's devastating for survivors when they hear they have to wait after summoning the courage to reach out," Godderidge said.

"Everyone in our team is committed to doing everything we can to reopen the waiting list, and I am in continuous dialogue with potential funders to make that a reality."

With costs mounting for essentials such as office space and utility bills, combined with consecutive rises to the National Living Wage, the charity faces a perfect storm of increased demand and reduced funding.

Accessing support

Survive operates with a combination of funding sources, but its reliance on grants accentuates the challenge amid rising costs and competition for funds.

To access the helpline, call 0808 145 1887, open Monday to Thursday, 10-12 am, or visit survive-northyorks.org.uk for resources available online.

What do the Government say?

A Government spokesperson said:

"Violence against women and girls is an epidemic, and we're treating it as one. In December last year, we launched the VAWG Strategy - the largest crackdown on violence against women and girls in British history.

“As part of this, the Government is investing £550 million over the next three years in specialist victim and witness services.”

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.