Dangerous driver jailed following hit-and-run which left man with catastrophic injuries in Berwick

A man says he has “lost some of the best years” of his life after he sustained catastrophic injuries at the hands of a dangerous driver.

Liam James
Author: Ellie KumarPublished 19th May 2026
Last updated 19th May 2026

A man says he has “lost some of the best years” of his life after he sustained catastrophic injuries at the hands of a dangerous driver.

Liam James, pictured, struck 21-year-old Jack Forster in his car as he walked on Marygate in Berwick town centre in the early hours of New Year’s Day 2025. Mr Forster had been returning from a night out with friends.

After his car hit him, James drove away from the scene, leaving his victim in the road.

Mr Forster had to have surgery to remove parts of his skull and is now registered as disabled.

Following an investigation by Northumbria Police’s Roads Policing Unit James, 24, of Prior Road, Tweedmouth, in Berwick, was found to have texted a relative following the collision and told them he was “black out drunk and drove home”.

He was charged with causing serious injury by dangerous driving to which he pleaded guilty to in March.

James was before Newcastle Crown Court on Friday (May 15) where he was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison. He was also disqualified from driving for four years and three months.

In his victim personal statement, Mr Forster said he has to undergo numerous sessions of rehabilitation since the crash to improve his mobility, speech and language and to help get him back into full-time work.

He added: “Between the time of having my skull removed and getting the metal plate put in my head, my life has been awful. I’ve no normal life, spent most of my time in hospitals or in and out of hospitals.

“I’ve had no life at all. I’ve not been able to function normally as I did before the crash.

“It’s been an extremely sad and frustrating time for me and all the people around me. Especially for something which was so needless as someone hitting me in their car when I was walking along the pavement minding my own business.

“I’ve lost some of the best years of my life, it’s been totally wasted.”

Following James’ sentence, Inspector Sarah Munnelly, of Northumbria Police’s Operations department, said: “Firstly, we’d like to pay tribute to the victim in this case.

“Mr Forster has been through a truly horrendous ordeal and I hope that now the person who caused his significant injuries has been jailed he and his family will be able to take a degree of closure.”

Insp Munnelly added: “Liam James’ actions in the early hours of New Year’s Day last year were utterly deplorable. Not only was he several times the limit for alcohol, but he left the scene immediately following the collision and didn’t notify the emergency services of what

had taken place.

“We are pleased that he has now rightly been jailed after pleading guilty to the serious offence with which he was charged.

“I sincerely hope that this case acts as a deterrent to anybody thinking of driving after having had excess alcohol. This set of circumstances demonstrates that by choosing to do so, you put yourself and others at significant risk.

“Make the right decision and avoid tragedy.”

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.