Barnard Castle venue has licence reinstated after brawl

A pool cue and a ball were used as weapons during the incident last month

Barnard Castle Working Men's Club
Author: Bill Edgar, Local Democracy Reporting ServicePublished 8th Aug 2025

A County Durham venue has had its licence reinstated after a brawl where a pool cue and a ball were used as weapons.

Barnard Castle Working Men’s Club was ordered to improve after police raised concerns over the venue’s management following the incident on July 12.

Staff said they were “horrified” by the disorder and vowed to prioritise the safety of customers in the future.

Durham County Council’s licensing committee agreed to hand back the licence following a hearing on August 7.

A previous hearing was shown CCTV footage of a pool cue snapping in half after being used during the fight. Another individual is seen removing his t-shirt and concealing a pool ball inside it to create a makeshift weapon.

Shocked representatives speaking on behalf of the venue said the individuals involved are not members of the Galgate club.

Under the updated licence, a new designated premises supervisor will be appointed with an enhanced staffing structure. Additional CCTV cameras will be installed throughout the venue, with the current smoking area relocated to avoid disturbance to nearby residential properties.

The new rules have also been introduced amid concerns from neighbours about an “atmosphere of fear” locally due to continued anti-social behaviour. Martyn Radcliffe, who lives next door, said: “Drunk members of the club trying to gain access to our rear yard by climbing our wall, threatening to attack us. Other residents have had club members threaten to throw garden furniture through windows.”

Durham Constabulary confirmed it approved the changes.

Allyn Walton, a solicitor representing the venue, said: “The measures are not merely reactive steps but represent a fundamental shift in our operational approach, prioritising public safety, the prevention of crime and disorder, and the protection of public nuisance.

“We believe that the comprehensive and immediate actions demonstrate our sincere commitment to addressing the concerns that led to the suspension of our premises licence.”

Tim Robson, licensing chair, said the committee was satisfied the venue could return to normal with the new conditions.

He added: “We hope to see no further incidents related to the premises, and I’m sure licensing enforcement officers will be looking at it over the next few months and years.”

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.