London Underground strikes called off

A walk out had been planned for Tuesday and Thursday

London Underground
Author: Louise EastonPublished 18th May 2026
Last updated 18th May 2026

Strikes on the London Underground this week have been called off

The RMT had been planning to walk out on Tuesday and Thursday in a row over working hours

A union spokesperson said: “At the 11th hour the employer has shifted its position allowing us to further explore our members’ concerns around the imposition of new rosters, fatigue and safety issues.

“The dispute is not over and more strike action will follow if we fail to make sufficient progress.”

Strikes scheduled for June 16 and 18 have also been called off, but the union announced new 24-hour strike dates of June 2 and 4 if the dispute remains unresolved.

The union says its members oppose a new four day working week arrangement on the underground.

Nick Dent, director of customer operations for London Underground, said: “We are pleased that RMT has withdrawn its planned industrial action this week. This is good news for London.

“Our proposal for a voluntary four-day week is designed to improve both work-life balance for drivers and the reliability of service for customers. We look forward to further discussions on the implementation of these proposals with all of our trade unions.”

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.