Flammable chemicals stolen in Scunthorpe

Police believe containers may have been discarded

The chemicals were stolen early on Thursday
Author: Richard MuriePublished 29th Jan 2026
Last updated 29th Jan 2026

A burglary at a business premise in Flixborough near Scunthorpe has resulted in the theft of containers containing chemicals labelled as flammable.

The incident occurred at around 5.45am yesterday morning (28 January 2026) when four men wearing balaclavas entered the property and took two large silver cylindrical containers and two large black cylindrical containers.

Each container weighs approximately 110kg, stands 122cm in height, and has a diameter of 38cm.

The stolen containers were loaded into a white Volkswagen Golf before the men drove away from the scene.

Humberside Police are urging the public not to approach the containers if they are discovered but to call 999 immediately.

Appeal for information

Superintendent Tim Harrison said officers are now conducting extensive enquiries to locate the containers and investigate the burglary.

“We received the report just after 7am this morning, and since then officers have been conducting extensive lines of enquiry including reviewing CCTV from in and around the area leading up to and following the incident," Harrison said.

He confirmed police believe the suspects may have abandoned the stolen containers and appealed for help from anyone who could provide information.

“It is possible the four containers may have now been discarded, and our priority is to locate and safely recover them. They are labelled as flammable and I would urge people to not approach the containers if they come across them, but to please call 999 immediately quoting Humberside Police log 76 of 28 January," Harrison said.

Earlier suspicious activity

Police also believe the suspects were seen acting suspiciously near another business premise on Ferry Road in Scunthorpe earlier this morning.

According to Harrison, police suspect the same men and vehicle were disturbed at around 5.30am when a security alarm was activated, prompting them to leave the area.

Harrison said enquiries have led police to believe the suspects may have travelled towards South Yorkshire following the burglary.

He urged the public to come forward with any information, no matter how small, as it could aid the investigation.

“It may be you witnessed a car in the area or a small group acting suspiciously, no matter how small it could be a vital piece of information for our investigation,” Harrison added.

Anyone with information or CCTV footage is encouraged to contact police.

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.