18 years behind bars for ‘heinous’ child rapist

It happened in Hull

Author: Jon BurkePublished 26th Jan 2026

A ‘heinous’ child rapist has been sentenced to 18 years behind bars, with a requirement to be on licence for an additional year. He will also be on the Sex Offenders Register for life and has been handed an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order, after he was found guilty of multiple non-recent child sex offences following the conclusion of his trial at Hull Crown Court last week (Thursday, 22 January 2026).

After a ten-day trial, David Bayliss, 48, of Antimony Crescent in New Zealand, was found guilty of five counts of rape of a girl under 13, sexual assault of a child under 13 and causing a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity.

Bayliss first came to the attention of police in February 2019, when they were alerted by another force that a teenager had come forward, to report a series of sexual assaults and rapes against her occurring in the area of Hull, naming Bayliss as the one responsible.

The investigation was immediately transferred to the force area and detectives from the Protecting Vulnerable People Unit got to work unpicking the allegations against Bayliss, leading them to uncover the girl had been subjected to a series of rapes, sexual assaults and mental and physical abuse over a prolonged period of time, beginning when she was just nine years old.

While obtaining the initial account from the girl, they also discovered pivotal evidence in which she had written down what had happened to her in her diary, including how, often, Bayliss would threaten her with violence, saying if she told anyone, no one would believe her.

Liaising with the New Zealand Police Force to get Bayliss extradited to face the allegations put to him, he continually refused to return and refused to acknowledge any crimes had been committed.

After a long extradition process, he eventually returned to the UK and was arrested on suspicion of the offences, subsequently charged with 13 offences and remanded into custody, where he remained until his trial began on Tuesday, 13 January 2026.

Detective Sergeant Stacey Suffield from the Protecting Vulnerable People Unit, leading the investigation, said: “Bayliss’ crimes against such a young girl are nothing short of heinous, and the effect this will have on her for the rest of her life cannot be underestimated.

“It takes a great deal of strength to take that first step in coming forward and reporting crimes of this nature. Especially when a child as young as she, was told by someone she is supposed to trust, that no one would believe her.

“I would like to commend the girl’s bravery for telling someone, and for her courage, patience and support shown by her and her family through what has been a very prolonged, convoluted investigation, extradition, and judiciary process.

“Bayliss even refused to return from New Zealand to face what he had done, further drawing out the trauma for all those involved. He continuously refused to acknowledge any of the allegations put to him, and then had the audacity to force the girl and her family through a trial in what could be seen as a last cowardly attempt to maintain control and manipulation of the situation.

“It seemed Bayliss enjoyed it, and throughout the whole process continued to put his perverse sexual needs above anything, or anyone else.

“Whilst the result seen at court last week will by no means take away the suffering endured, I hope the length of time Bayliss will now be spending on his own behind bars is a stark reminder that we will do everything we can to put people like Bayliss away for a significant amount of time.

“We take all reports of rape, sexual assault, and abuse extremely seriously, whether the offences occurred two days, or two years ago, we will support you every step of the way to ensure we hold perpetrators like Bayliss accountable for their crimes.

“If you’ve been raped or sexually assaulted, we’re here for you. When you are ready to you can report it to us online, via our non-emergency number 101, or always call 999 in an emergency.

“But if you don’t want to talk to us straight away, or if you need extra support, there are lots of people who can help.

“You can speak to these people and organisations privately and confidentially, and unless they think someone is in serious danger, they won't share anything with us.”

For more information, including guidance about specialist help, click here: Tell Someone | Humberside Police

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.