Night buses returning to Cornwall and Devon this summer

Popular night bus services are returning to Cornwall this summer, with routes in Newquay and Perranporth helping people get home safely and affordably after a night out.

Author: Charlotte BarberPublished 18th May 2026

The Newquay night bus will make a comeback from Saturday, May 23, with some route changes, while a new service will also operate between Newquay and Perranporth every Saturday for 16 weeks.

In Devon, night bus services already run year-round in several areas due to demand, and a new route is being introduced between Newton Abbot and Torquay from Saturday, May 30.

Saturday night bus fares are capped at a maximum of £3 for a single journey.

The initiative is funded by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner and delivered in partnership with local councils, businesses and emergency services.

It aims to reduce drink and drug driving, alcohol-related crime and antisocial behaviour, and violence against women and girls, while also supporting the night-time economy by helping people get home safely up until 4am.

In Cornwall, the Newquay and Perranporth services will be delivered by Go Cornwall Bus from Saturday, May 23, to Saturday, September 5.

Last year, the Newquay night bus ran for 14 weeks and was used by 745 passengers — an average of 53 people per night.

Across Devon, night buses currently operate in North Devon, Torquay, Plymouth, Exeter and Cranbrook. The scheme is now expanding with the launch of the Newton Abbot route, which is being solely funded by Torbay Council.

Since night buses were first trialled in 2023 as a Christmas service, before later becoming a summer service, more than 28,500 passengers have used them. The average number of passengers using night buses across Devon and Cornwall each night is 530.

Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez said: “The night buses provide an easy and affordable way for people to enjoy a night out or go to work and know they can get home safely.

“Due to high passenger numbers, my office has committed to continue being the main funder of night buses where they are most needed throughout 2026 to ensure community safety and crime prevention which are among my key priorities.

“The service has already proven to have contributed to a reduction in antisocial behaviour and violence as well as drink/drug drive cases. It is also reassuring that no incidents have been reported on the buses themselves either showing once again how effective they are.

“It has been incredible to see the service grow from one route over 10 weeks, to 10 routes all year round in Devon and, for 2026, two 16-week summer services in Newquay and Perranporth.

“This would not have been possible without the support of our local transport providers so thank you to Stagecoach for its ongoing commitment to the Devon scheme, and to Go Cornwall for taking on the Newquay route this year.”

Sector Inspector Steve Johnson, of Devon and Cornwall Police, based in Newquay, said: “We welcome the reintroduction of the night bus in Cornwall and the provision of continued services across Devon.

“The night bus has been shown to reduce antisocial behaviour, drink/drug drive related incidents and violence against women and girls.

“Partnership work is a key part of our prevention efforts and we’re pleased to be working alongside local businesses and councils to help prevent crime and improve safety.

“I encourage anyone who is enjoying a night out in the Newquay and Perranporth areas to consider using the new night bus service to get home safely.”

Mark Collins, commercial director at Go Cornwall Bus, said: “Go Cornwall Bus is proud to be partnering with the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner to provide these night bus services in Newquay and Perranporth this summer.

“Passenger safety is always a top priority for us, and as a White Ribbon accredited organisation, we are proud to support an initiative that helps all people, particularly women and girls, travel home safely.”

Councillor Thalia Marrington, Cornwall Council’s portfolio holder for community safety, said: “I am delighted we are continuing to support the night bus scheme, and that the service is returning to Newquay and Perranporth this summer.

“The evidence shows these buses help reduce antisocial behaviour and have a direct impact on safety, especially for women and girls.

“It is a great example of how partnership working can make a real positive difference for our communities.”

Councillor Hayley Tranter, Torbay Council’s cabinet member for Adult and Community Services, Public Health and Inequalities, said: “Extending this route into Newton Abbot will help more people get home safely after a night out.

“It will also benefit people working late into the evening such as shift workers or anyone working in hospitality.

“A strong night-time economy relies on safe and reliable transport and this night bus service is an important part of that.”

Night bus routes in Cornwall

The Cornwall night bus routes are:

  • Newquay
  • Perranporth to Newquay

Bus times can be found by visiting the Transport for Cornwall website.

Night bus routes in Devon

The Devon night bus routes are:

  • Exeter to Cullompton, Cranbrook, Crediton and Exmouth
  • Barnstaple to Bideford and Ilfracombe
  • Plymouth to Tavistock and Saltash
  • Torquay to Paignton and Brixham
  • Newton Abbot to Torquay, starting from May 30

Bus times can be found on the Stagecoach website and app.

Devon and Cornwall night bus timetables can also be found on the Devon and Cornwall Police website.

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.