Cornwall MP welcomes minister's visit in wake of Storm Goretti

Andrew George MP says government’s handling of storm aftermath has been inadequate

Author: Oliver MorganPublished 16th Jan 2026
Last updated 16th Jan 2026

The MP for West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, Andrew George, is set to meet Cabinet Office Minister, Dan Jarvis MP, as the response to Storm Goretti continues.

Mr Jarvis is visiting Cornwall today following criticisms of the government’s handling of the aftermath of the severe weather that hit the region last week.

Andrew George said the government’s decision not to declare a national emergency in response to the storm’s impact was wrong and criticised initial assessments of the situation.

“Though a week late, I’m pleased the Government agrees the impact of the storm deserves more government attention,” Mr George said.

“The situation on the ground was worse than the assurances given by service providers. It was clear to me by the time Ministers spoke to me at the weekend that they were basing their view on overly optimistic assurances in the briefings provided to them, and on the very limited ability of those most affected to communicate their circumstances.”

He added, “Though of course I believe the Government’s decision not to declare a national emergency was wrong and would have been different if it had happened in London and the south east, I’m sure we can agree we must all now concentrate on other matters and the consequences.”

Read more: Falmouth family 'traumatised' after losing home during Storm Goretti

Key issues remaining in Cornwall

Mr George outlined the ongoing challenges faced by those impacted by the storm, which include helping communities restore essential services, supporting vulnerable people who were left off-grid, and addressing the damage caused to facilities such as nursing and care homes.

Broadband and power outages remain an issue in many areas, with some still relying on generators or experiencing fragile reconnections.

The MP emphasised the need to support residents struggling in the aftermath and to learn lessons about contingencies and resilience, particularly around communication infrastructure.

Mr George also said it was important to recognise the efforts of frontline workers and community volunteers.

He will join the Cabinet Office Minister during today’s visit to Cornwall.

Government response

A No 10 spokesperson told us in the days after the storm: “We understand the difficulties faced by communities in Cornwall still without power or water and our thoughts are with all those affected by Storm Goretti.

“We want to see them reconnected as soon as possible and are continuing to work round the clock with local authorities, network engineers and emergency responders to make that happen.”

On Sunday afternoon, DEFRA minister Mary Creagh chaired an emergency response meeting with SWW in Cornwall, with the aim of restoring supplies and prioritising vulnerable customers and essential public services.

“On Sunday, ministers and MPs held an emergency response meeting with water companies in Cornwall to drive the changes needed to restore water supply while prioritising vulnerable customers, and we will continue to provide whatever support is needed to communities.”

Read more: True tragedy of Storm Goretti trees may never be known

Read more: Government responds as Storm Goretti criticism grows in Cornwall

First for all the latest news from across the UK every hour on Hits Radio on DAB, at hitsradio.co.uk and on the Rayo app.