Two men arrested after fatal collision in Barnsley

SYP
Author: Rebecca LomasPublished 22nd Sep 2025

Two men have been arrested by Police investigation a fatal collision in Barnsley.

Officers say they were called on Friday night to Harborough Hill Road after reports a pedestrian had been hit by a car.

A man in his 40s died at the scene.

Both the 17 and 20 year old have been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

A Police spokesperson said:

"A further arrest has been made and a vehicle recovered as the investigation into a Barnsley fatal road traffic collision progresses.

"On Friday (19 September) at 7.41pm roads policing officers responded to Harborough Hill Road following reports a pedestrian had been involved in a collision with a blue Audi A3.

"The pedestrian, a man in his 40s sadly died at the scene and our thoughts remain with his loved ones.

"The driver of the Audi, a 17-year-old boy fled the scene and following enquiries was later arrested by officers on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. He has since been released on police bail.

"The car was taken from the scene of the collision, and yesterday (20 September) we appealed to the public to help us locate the car, and secure vital evidence for our investigation.

"Officers have now recovered a vehicle they believe to have been involved.

"A second man, aged 20 has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and has since been released on police bail."

Sergeant John Taylor from the Serious Collisions Unit has praised the public for their support, he said:

“Thank you to everyone who shared our appeal, got in touch and tried to help us find the vehicle involved.

“Our communities support does not go unnoticed and is greatly appreciated.”

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.