Man jailed for nine years for manslaughter of 20 year old in Coleford

Neil Woodley attacked Luke Wasley in June 2023

Neil Woodley
Author: Jonny FreemanPublished 16th Jan 2025

A man has been jailed for nine years for the manslaughter of a 20 year old in Coleford.

Luke Wasley died after being attacked and then stabbed in June 2023.

50 year old Neil Woodley from the Blakes Way area of Coleford had a guilty plea of manslaughter accepted.

Woodley had previously been on trial for murder last June 2024, but the jury was discharged after the judge accepted that two other defendants on trial for related offences had no case to answer.

A retrial was ordered for January 2025, but Woodley indicated that he would plead guilty to the charge of manslaughter, which was accepted by the Crown. He also pleaded guilty to possessing a bladed item in a public place.

Background to the case

The court heard that Luke Wasley had been with friends Jack Edmunds and Curt Aston on the evening of 13 June 2023 at the flat of Aston’s girlfriend in St John Street, Coleford.

The group of men had seen Woodley walk past the house after visiting his brother and, leaving the flat, they began to follow Woodley and shout at him.

When they reached Staunton Road, Mr Edmunds ran up behind Woodley and hit him to the back of the head.

Woodley turned around and pulled a knife he was carrying, causing the men to back away before returning to the flat. One of the men was heard to shout at Woodley: “Wait until I see you again.”

Mr Edmunds, Mr Aston and Mr Wasley left the flat a short time later and found Woodley as he was again walking on Staunton Road. They chased him down Albert Road and into Oakfields.

The court was told that Woodley had pulled out his phone to call the police, but it was knocked from his hands by Mr Edmunds, who then ripped the chains from around Woodley’s neck.

Woodley was then repeatedly punched to the face before pulling out his knife and brandishing it at the men, stabbing Mr Wasley in his arm and stomach.

Emergency services were called but Mr Wasley died from his injuries a short time later.

Reaction to today's sentencing

In his sentencing remarks His Honour Judge Jonathan Swift said: “Your decision to carry a knife on that evening was a fateful one.

“You say that you stabbed out at Mr Wasley to defend yourself. All this shows is that if, during a fight, one person stabs at any other, there is no way of controlling where that knife will land.”

Speaking after the trial, Luke’s family paid tribute to him, saying: “Luke was a much-loved son, big brother, grandson, nephew, cousin and friend. His loss is still being felt 19 months later and one that all who loved and knew him will never get over or come to terms with.

“He was a happy 20-year-old living his best life, he had a beautiful smile, infectious laugh, a glint in his eye, and a very kind heart.

“Luke is missed every second of every day and nothing will ever be enough to make up for his loss. We have to learn live without him every day which most days is unbearable as it is a reminder of the life he never got to live.

“We would like to say a heartfelt thank you to all that assisted and was there with Luke in the early hours of Wednesday 14 June 2023. Also, a big thank you to all of the Gloucestershire Constabulary team, the CPS and Counsel who worked on Luke's case and have supported us throughout.”

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.