Gloucester drug dealer jailed after Serious Crime Prevention Order breaches
29 year old Kiano Houghton Jones has been sentenced
A drug dealer from Gloucester, who repeatedly breached a Serious Crime Prevention Order (SCPO), has been jailed for 12 years - reduced to eight for a guilty plea.
29 year old Kiano Houghton Jones, from Longstone Avenue in Longford, was told by a judge that he was 'paying lip service' to attempts to stop his offending.
He's been sentenced at Gloucester Crown Court this week (Monday 19th May) after previously pleading guilty to supplying Class A drugs in the city between June and November 2024.
Houghton Jones also admitted breaching Serious Crime Prevention Orders against him by possessing more than one mobile phone, associating with a named individual and possessing more than £1,000 in cash.
Police arrested Houghton Jones in December 2024, following an investigation by the Serious Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) into members of a Gloucester-based organised crime gang suspected of trafficking large quantities of cocaine.
Although he was not one of the subjects of that operation, Houghton Jones was seen by officers to be breaching his SCPO by having more than one mobile phone in his possession, and meeting one of the named individuals prohibited by his order.
The court heard that on arrest, Houghton Jones was found in possession of two mobile phones, with a third - registered with the police and probation service found at his home address, after his arrest.
Significant quantities of cash and high value clothing were also seized from his home, including almost £9,000 in a carrier bag.
Houghton Jones had refused to provide PINs to access the phones, which were then cracked by police.
No drugs were found at the property, but experts analysing the messages estimate that a total of 8kg of cocaine for supply was being discussed on messages sent by Houghton Jones.
Numerous photographs showing large quantities of cocaine on scales, as well as images of cash, were also found.
Houghton Jones had 23 previous convictions for violence and drug dealing.
Sentencing Houghton Jones, His Honour Judge Rupert Lowe KC told him that he should have woken up and changed his ways when he was convicted of dealing Class A drugs in 2017. He said: “You were made subject of a Serious Crime Prevention Order - a order designed to keep tabs on you, and they were right to do so.
“On 10 June 2024, you were given a suspended sentence. Again, that was when you probably said that that was a terrible mistake but you were going to turn a new leaf.
“And then you were straight back into cocaine dealing, and dealing kilo lumps if it. You were not interested in leading an honest life.
“You breached your SCPO and suspended sentence, whilst making people think that you were complying with it.
“And then when you were arrested, you refused your PIN for your mobile phones, knowing full well what was on them. You didn’t care that it cost more public money to access your mobile phones. In fact you have never cared about the public resources spent on you.
“You have demonstrated the attitude of a naughty schoolboy, and you need to grow up.”
Houghton Jones has also been sentenced to one year in prison for each of the three breaches of his SCPO, that will run concurrently with his other sentence.
A 24-month suspended sentence, received by Houghton Jones last year for causing injury by dangerous driving, was also activated and will again run concurrently.
Detective Sergeant Samantha Martin from the Serious Organised Crime Unit said: “This case is a really positive one as it shows that the Constabulary proactively manage the SCPO’s that have been issued by our Crown Courts at the conclusion of investigations into organised crime.
“Haughton Jones clearly could not resist the lifestyle and profit that drug dealing could provide and he will now be receiving another lengthy custodial sentence and potentially a further SCPO.
“SOCU worked closely with the Integrated Offender Management team (IOM) in order to ensure that the case against Haughton Jones was watertight. There are currently around 20 people living in Gloucestershire with such orders that are managed and supported by the IOM team to deter them from returning to serious crime.
“We hope that this case reassures the people of Gloucestershire that we continue to be dedicated to tackling serious organised crime. We will do this by investigating any breach of such an order to a high standard, disrupting crime, managing offenders, and ultimately doing everything we can to build trust and confidence with our communities.”