Concerns Gloucestershire’s new electric bus fleet may have to be charged with petrol or diesel generators
It’s amid delays in electrifying the network
There are concerns Gloucestershire’s new fleet of electric buses may have to be powered by diesel or petrol generators amid delays in electrifying the network.
New “environmentally friendly” buses are being rolled out across county routes linking Gloucester, Cheltenham and Tewkesbury.
They also will be rolling out buses for Gloucester city routes and major connections.
Stagecoach says it will ensure that buses provide zero-emissions and greener, cleaner travel across the county.
The firm plans to get 24 pure electric, zero-emission single-deck bus BYD ADL Enviro200EVs to be spread across their depots in Gloucestershire.
However, Gloucestershire County Council’s spending report presented to cabinet on Wednesday (June 18) suggests that more than £1.1m which was allocated during the last financial year has yet to be spent.
This is due to delays on the bus electrification project as providers have struggled to find a suitable depot to deliver electric vehicle charging points due to “third party” grid connections.
David Redgwell, public transport campaigner, asked council leaders what action is being taken to progress the project urgently to secure the land needed for bus depots with EV chargers.
“With £1.1 million pounds of grant, is there a risk to electric bus delivery without bus depots being secured,” he said in a written question to cabinet.”
He asked council chiefs for assurances to help support the delivery of the new government-funded electric buses being provided to Stagecoach, in a follow-up question at the meeting in Shire Hall.
“What assurances are we getting that we are going to have the sure supply and the electricity in place in the depots of Cheltenham and Gloucester for both operating companies in place in time for the delivery of electric buses,” he said.
“Or are we going to bring in emergency battery top up facilities. We can use it using generators.
“Are we going to have to bring those in to get the new electric bus fleet in service in Gloucestershire.”
Previous public transport chiefs at Shire Hall said they were delighted when their bids for zero emission buses to the Department for Transport (DfT) were successful.
The DfT announced last year that Gloucestershire would receive part of the £143m allocated in the second round of Zero Emission Bus Regional areas programme.
As a result of this, the county will benefit from 58 zero emission buses.
But newly-appointed sustainable transport and strategic highways cabinet member Roger Whyborn (LD, Benhall and Up Hatherley) said it was not Shire Hall’s responsibility to source land for private operators.
However, they would be “keeping a very close eye on it”.
“It’s fundamentally not for Gloucestershire County Council to take that responsibility,” he said. “It’s with the operators.
“Having said that, we will be keeping a very close eye on it obviously. If we think there are any problems we’ll flag them. We are not aware there are going to be any problems in that area but we will obviously be on the case.”
Stagecoach West say electrifying older depots presents a number of challenges.
They will keep Shire Hall and the DfT up to date as they progress their plans.
A spokesperson for Stagecoach West said: “Electrifying older locations such as our depots in Cheltenham and Gloucester always presents a number of challenges, which we anticipated at the start of the project. We are continuing to keep Gloucestershire County Council and Department for Transport up to date as we work through our plans”
Go-Ahead Group has been approached for comment.