Former residential social worker jailed for abusing boys at East Lothian children's home
Last updated 14th Mar 2025
A former residential social worker who preyed on vulnerable boys at an East Lothian children’s home has been jailed for a string of physical and sexual abuse offences.
Peter Livingstone, 67, was found guilty of six charges last month, following a trial at Edinburgh Sheriff Court.
He worked at Tyneholm House in Pencaitland between 1979 and 1983, entrusted with the care of children and young adults in need of support and stability. Instead, the court heard, he exploited his position to subject them to horrific abuse.
WARNING: details below contain graphic content
After gaining the trust of his victims, Livingstone abused his position of power to target five children at the home.
One child suffered repeated assaults, with Livingstone dragging him by the hair, throwing him onto a bed, and punching him. On multiple occasions, he pressed or kneeled on the boy’s chest, restricting his movement.
He also subjected the victim to further physical abuse, seizing him by the neck and pressing his knuckles into his head.
The 'house parent’ sexually abused a second child by massaging his body and touching him indecently.
A third victim was repeatedly assaulted by Livingstone, who would seize him by the body, on one occasion, dragging the child into a room before attacking him.
Livingstone sexually abused a fourth child and forced a fifth to remove his clothing and stand naked in the corner of a room.
On Friday, at Edinburgh Sheriff Court, Livingstone was sentenced to two years and six months imprisonment.
His named has been added to the sex offenders register for a period of 10 years.
Lynne Barrie, Procurator Fiscal for Lothian and Borders, said: “Peter Livingstone cruelly exploited a position of trust and power to prey on vulnerable children.
“These boys should have been safe under his care but were instead abused and assaulted, causing them lasting trauma.
“I would like to commend the strength and courage of the victims, and to thank them for coming forward. This prosecution would not have been possible without them.
“COPFS is committed to robustly prosecuting non-recent allegations of abuse of children in care and securing justice.
“I would urge anyone who has experienced similar offending to come forward and report it, regardless of how long ago the offences took place.”
Police Scotland is commending the victims for coming forward and reporting Peter Livingstone's behaviour.
Detective Inspector Jim McLauchlan, of the National Child Abuse Investigation Unit, said: “I hope this sentencing gives the victims and their families some kind of closure.
“Police Scotland takes all reports of abusive and sexual crime extremely seriously, regardless of the passage of time.
“We urge anyone wishing to make a report to get in touch. We have specialist officers across the country who can speak to you and work alongside partners to bring those responsible to justice.
“Anyone wishing to make contact can do so via 101 or make an anonymous call to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”