Rangers fan who took possession of stolen drum banned from football

22-year-old Arran Watt from Irvine was involved in the incident that saw a female St Johnstone supporter thrown to the ground outside Hampden

Author: Paul KellyPublished 26th Nov 2024

A Rangers fan from Irvine has been banned from football for two years, for his part in an incident that saw a female St Johnstone supporter have a drum violently snatched from her.

Supporters Liaison Officer Beverley Mayer was thrown to the ground by two unknown men who snatched the instrument outside Hampden Park before a meeting between the sides on August 17.

The drum was then passed to 22-year-old Arran Watt.

Incident led to clashes between ultras group and police

The incident sparked crowd disorder with Rangers ultra group the Union Bears clashing with police.

Watt also struggled with police, and refused to hand over his details.

He admitted to breach of the peace at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

The 22-year-old also admitted having a baton without a reasonable excuse or lawful authority while on bail for the earlier matters.

Sheriff Louise Arrol KC tagged Watt for six months keeping him indoors between 8pm and 6am as well as the football ban.

Watt - who was remanded in custody for 85 days - was also put under supervision for 18 months.

Football disorder "frightening" and "damaging" to most fans

The sheriff said: "You understand that public disorder connected with football is frightening and damaging to people simply enjoying sport."

The court heard that Miss Mayer was working at the time and had possession of a drum belonging to St Johnstone fans.

Prosecutor Victoria Keel said: "Before kick-off, she was assaulted by two unknown male Rangers supporters.

"She was pushed to the ground and the drum violently ripped from her grasp.

"The men ran back towards the Rangers fans in possession of the drum."

The hearing was told that the men were chased by police officers.

Miss Keel added: "A disorderly crowd then formed as members of the Union Bears attempted to protect the men and became aggressive towards police officers.

"Watt, who witnessed the robbery, ran through the crowd and took possession of the drum which had been passed to him by one of the men."

Watt was stopped by police but he struggled with them in an attempt to break away.

He initially refused to give his details until he was made to do so.

Watt was also pulled over in possession of a police baton near Celtic Park

Watt was held in custody and released on bail with special conditions.

The hearing was told that Watt was caught with a baton in the driver's door compartment when he was behind the wheel of an Audi A3 car in the city's Parkhead on September 1 2024.

Watt was with three other men in the motor which had been pulled over by police.

Ian Moir, defending, told the sentencing that he also expects his client to receive a definite ban from Rangers.

The lawyer added: "His family are very supportive of him but are not supportive of his conduct and the consequences.

"They say he will need to give up attending football on a permanent basis.

"My client has now learned his lesson and can be dealt with in the community."

Hear the latest news on Clyde 1 on FM, DAB, smart speaker or the Rayo app.