Colchester crash which killed four students "absolutely heartbreaking", says Councillor

It's after a vehicle crashed into a building on Magdalen Road, Colchester, in the early hours of Saturday 1 February

Author: Martha TipperPublished 3rd Feb 2025
Last updated 3rd Feb 2025

A Colchester Councillor says they want to "work cross-party" to introduce a speed-reduction zone in the area around Magdalen Road, where four students died on Saturday.

A car, with three men and a woman inside, was in collision with a building in Magdalen Street shortly before 4.40am.

Police have disclosed the names of the victims:

Twenty two year-old Makyle Bayley, 21 year-old Eva Darold-Tchikaya, Anthony Hibbert, who was 24, and 22 year-old Daljang Wol all died at the scene.

All four were students at the University of Essex.

Their families have been informed and will be supported by specialist officers, the force said.

Magdalen Street remained shut throughout Saturday but re-opened as usual on Sunday.

Cllr Kirkby-Taylor of Colchester Green Party lives close by to where the incident took place.

He told Greatest Hits Radio he was "asleep when it happened".

"I've spoken to others councillors since and we've agreed to work on speed reduction down here because this isn't the first time there's been major incidences like this on this road.

"Something has to change; something has to be done."

"My heart goes out to the victims' families. I hope they receive the support that they need. I can't imagine how traumatic it must be to get this news - absolutely heartbreaking.

"That's what we have to take and fuel us going forward to say this has to stop, we have to find a way of preventing tragedies like this happening again."

The building hit was a second-hand shop and massage parlour called "Dusty's". Owners, Brian Amey and Fai Hatcher, had been running it for three years.

They await to hear whether the building, that is owned by Mr Robertson who owns a van hire company in Colchester, will be subject to demolition.

Mr Amey says: "I received a call saying a car had gone through the shop. We later learned that four young people lost their lives. I think that is much more important than our little shop.

"That said it is obviously our livelihood and we won't know until Monday whether the owner will demolish it or repair it. So at the moment we're up in the air. But our thoughts are with the people that have passed away."

Flowers with messages on them have been laid in tribute next to the building.

Temporary assistant chief constable Stuart Hooper said: "My thoughts, and those of everyone at Essex Police, is with the friends and families of the four people who died this morning.

"I want to thank the businesses and residents in the Magdalen Street area for their support and understanding today in what has been a really difficult and tragic situation.

"I always want to pay tribute to emergency services personnel who have worked diligently, professionally and compassionately to ensure the dignity of those who have died.

"Our inquiries to establish what led up to the collision are ongoing and I need anyone with information to contact us."

Anyone with information, CCTV, dashcam or other footage relating to the incident has been asked to contact the force quoting incident 179 of 1 February, or to contact independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Hear the latest news from across the UK every hour, on Magic Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, and on the Rayo app.