Teenager admits causing deaths of 5 people in Meanwood crash
The 15-year-old pleaded guilty to five counts of causing death by dangerous driving.
Last updated 13th Dec 2017
A 15-year-old boy has admitted causing the deaths of five people in Leeds, including three children, by dangerous driving after a car ploughed into a tree in Meanwood.
The teenager, who cannot be named, pleaded guilty to the five charges at Leeds Crown Court after the crash in November.
Ellis Thornton-Kimmitt, 12, his brother, Elliott Thornton-Kimmitt, 14, Darnell Harte, 15, Robbie Meerun, 24, and Anthony Armour, also 24, all died after the crash involving a Renault Clio in Stonegate Road in Leeds.
The teenager appeared via videolink in court - wearing a grey jumper and a sling on his left arm.
Friends in the public gallery broke down in tears as he pleaded guilty to each of the counts.
The Crown Prosecution Service say the teenager lost control whilst driving the car at a high speed in Meanwood - describing it as "dangerous" and "erratic".
David Holderness from the CPS said: “This was a truly shocking crime in which five young people lost their lives.
“The defendant acted in a supremely dangerous way, driving erratically and at great speed in a residential area. Tragically his victims paid the price of the driver’s utter irresponsibility with their lives. Our thoughts remain with their families and friends, and I hope the driver’s admission of guilt today is of some comfort to them in their grief."
Police described the crash, which happened just before 10pm on Saturday November 25, as "catastrophic''.
At the time, officers told reporters that emergency services had been confronted by "a scene of total carnage'' when they arrived.
A shrine of flowers, balloons, candles and messages quickly began to grow, with relatives of brothers Ellis and Elliott describing their loss as heartbreaking.
The boy will be sentenced on January 26.