Brighton woman urges for protection for tenants sooner after new build "nightmare"

In just a month, Lucy Kinsella says she's made twenty two complaints over mold, leaks and faulty appliance

Author: Katie AhearnPublished 17th Nov 2025

A Brighton woman who's been fighting for repairs in her rented home is calling for protection for tenants to be brought in earlier.

In just a month, Lucy Kinsella says she's made twenty two complaints over mold, leaks and faulty appliances in her new build home.

During that time, she has racked up almost £2000 in costs after having to temporarily vacate the property while repairs were carried out - many of which are not yet complete.

Like "living on a building site"

Lucy described the experience as "stressful":

"Having repair men in my home continuously as a single woman has been uncomfortable.

"They've shown up here without any prior arrangement from me knocking on my door when I'm still in my pyjamas, and I've not wanted to be obstructive."

Working as a musical artist and a university lecturer, she adds that a throat infection from mold in her home has also impacted her livelihood and ability to work.

She has also been unable to unpack her items since moving into the property, comparing it to living "on a building site".

The company she rents from - Baron Homes - has previously come under fire for providing council tenants with poor temporary accommodation, sparking protests in September.

Greatest Hits Radio has reached out to Baron Homes for comment.

Lucy's complaints come months before the Renters Rights Bill, which hopes to end poor living conditions and no fault evictions, comes in across the UK.

Landlord standards should be "upheld"

Lucy said that renters should be able to object to paying costs if their expectations aren't being met:

"I would love to see that the the landlords are upheld to inspections of their properties and that they have to give evidence that they have done sufficiently with new builds.

"They should have to do sufficient snag lists, with evidence, to showcase that all of their appliances are actually working.

"There should be snag lists for leaks and mold.

"There should be a system in place for if a person is living in these conditions - that you can withhold rent.

"Why should I give you my £1300 if I'm currently in a dispute with you and living in disrepair?"

Government "calling time" on rogue landlords

Speaking on Friday when the Renters Rights Act was passed in law, Housing Secretary Steve Reed said:

“We’re calling time on no fault evictions and rogue landlords.

"Everyone should have peace of mind and the security of a roof over their head - the law we’ve just passed delivers that.

“We’re now on a countdown of just months to that law coming in – so good landlords can get ready and bad landlords should clean up their act.”

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.