Suffolk PCC says tackling knife crime is “everyone’s responsibility”
It's Operation Sceptre returns and police will be visiting schools
Suffolk’s Police and Crime Commissioner has said tackling knife crime is “everyone’s responsibility” as officers carry out a week of action across the county.
Police are visiting schools and colleges as part of the national Operation Sceptre campaign, which runs from May 18 to 24 and aims to raise awareness of the dangers of carrying knives while building trust between young people and police.
The campaign is running alongside the Ben Kinsella Trust’s Knife Crime Awareness Week.
Speaking to us, Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner Tim Passmore said while Suffolk continued to have relatively low levels of knife crime, even a small number of incidents was too many.
“You have to look at the overall level of knife crime or sharp blade instruments in Suffolk and whilst there was a slight increase in the last set of Office of National Statistics data, the long-term trend is downwards and we do benefit from the fact that we have very low levels of knife crime,” he said.
“Although there may well be around 260 to 300 incidents in the last year, that of course is too many anyway.”
Talking to young people
Mr Passmore said prevention and education remained key to reducing violence involving knives.
“Carrying a knife doesn’t make you safer,” he said. “It can lead to escalation and all sorts of other problems as sadly we know.
“We’ve got to do much more as a society. Parents have got a responsibility, adults, friends and everybody. This really doesn’t help. It can cause horrific problems, sadly, on occasions, fatalities, and life-changing injuries.”
He said work with charities, youth organisations and schools was vital in steering young people away from violence.
“Getting into schools, sports clubs, any youth movement, I don’t really mind what it is, but it is about raising the profile,” he added.
Suffolk Police said officers would also be carrying out stop-and-search activity where individuals are suspected of carrying knives and working with retailers to ensure compliance with Challenge 25 rules around the sale of bladed items.
Inspector Winston Freeman said: “Education and prevention is the key to tackling knife crime.
“We want youngsters to understand the real dangers of knife crime and explain to them that there are always alternatives to violence.”
During the interview, Mr Passmore also linked youth violence prevention to wider concerns around unemployment and opportunities for young people.
“It really worries me, the high level of unemployment amongst our young people,” he said.
“When you read of people trying for 40, 50, 60, even 100 jobs and they don’t get anywhere, we have to make sure we look after our young people.”
He argued that public sector organisations and major infrastructure projects should do more to create apprenticeships and employment opportunities for younger people in Suffolk.
“If we don’t, youngsters are our future; we are setting the whole country up to fail, and it simply is unacceptable,” he said.
Operation Sceptre activities are taking place across Suffolk throughout the week.