Infected blood report to set out impact of compensation delays
Delays to payouts for victims of the infected blood scandal have had "devastating" impacts
Last updated 9th Jul 2025
A woman from Llanidloes, whose Dad was victim of the infected blood scandal, tells Greatest Hits Radio waiting for compensation has been "heart-breaking" and is moving at a "glacier pace".
It comes as a report into the timeliness of compensation for those infected and affected is due to be published today (Wednesday 9 July), following additional hearings of the Infected Blood Inquiry.
On Sunday (6 July) the Cabinet Office announced that it was "unlocking administrative barriers" to help the compensation body "speed up payments to victims", which had been promised by government more than a year ago.
Bob Chapman, originally from Wickford but now lives in Llanidloes, is one of hundreds of victims still awaiting compensation and accountability.
Bob was infected with hepatitis C through his treatment for haemophilia at the Royal London Hospital in 1974.
He did not find out until 1985.
"They just didn't tell him. It completely destroyed my parents when they found out" says daughter, Victoria Chapman.
With the stigma around haemophilia and HIV in the 1980s, Bob lost his business and the family lost their home in Essex.
Victoria and her sister moved to Wales, and Bob joined them after his wife died.
Victoria says the impacts of her Dad being a victim of the scandal, and the delayed compensation since, have been "massive":
"My Mum passed away eight years now, didn't see justice, and my Dad completely blames himself for her death."
"He's 78 now. Many victims like him have passed away whilst waiting for their compensation for this thing that happened to them.
"Fingers crossed he is still alive if and when he gets it.
"He's currently so worried about fixing his kitchen. I'd love, for the last bit of his life, for him not to be stressed about money."
The Infected Blood Inquiry published its main report on the scandal in May last year, and a compensation scheme was announced a day later.
Some £11.8 billion has already been allocated to compensate victims, administered by the Infected Blood Compensation Authority (IBCA).
Victoria is going up to London with her sister to hear the outcomes of the special report on the impacts of delayed compensation.
She says "until my Dad gets his compensation, I'm not going to believe anything the government says."
"In an ideal world, they make good and say they guarantee to pay all infected people by the end of this year.
"But in reality, that will still be too late as so many people will have passed away.
"I truly believe the delay has been so that more people die so the bill amounts to less."
Bob Chapman is among hundreds of other victims of the scandal, which has been dubbed the worst treatment disaster in the history of the NHS.
Speaking ahead of the publication of the new Inquiry report, Kate Burt, chief executive of the Haemophilia Society, said: "Delays and uncertainty about compensation continue to have a devastating mental and physical impact on the infected blood community.
"We hope the Infected Blood Inquiry's report on the government's handling of compensation will help to resolve remaining concerns about the scheme as well as maintain pressure to deliver fair payments as quickly as possible."
More than 30,000 people in the UK were infected with HIV and hepatitis C after they were given contaminated blood and blood products between the 1970s and early 1990s.
More than 3,000 people have died as a result, and survivors are living with life-long health implications.
On Sunday, the Cabinet Office said that it will "reduce the administration and process delays" victims are facing, meaning the IBCA will "be able to deliver services quickly, and require different supporting information from claimants".