Increase in anti-social behaviour and aggression towards council staff in Eastleigh
A report says most abuse is aimed at officers working in country parks and customer support workers at Eastleigh House
A drunken person burst into council offices and abused staff, councillors in Eastleigh have been told.
It comes as Eastleigh Borough Council’s latest health and safety report revealed that staff are facing an increase in anti-social and aggressive incidents involving members of the public or visitors have increased.
The report said officerss working in country parks and in customer support at Eastleigh House are taking the brunt.
Corporate health and safety manager Heather Smith said she had witnessed a resident who was aggressive and under the influence in the office, with a receptionist needing to use a panic button to get help.
She said: “I have been downstairs when the panic button has been hit, and it’s panic.”
Members at an audit and resources committee meeting on November 24 heard that council staff across all its services have been forced to deal with aggressive behaviour on the phone, in person and even in the council offices.
Mrs Smith’s report said: “Senior managers are concerned by increased reports of aggressive customer behaviour towards staff, which increases the risk of a health and safety incident.”
Members of the public behaving badly can face sanctions and be banned from entering council offices, Mrs Smith said.
The council has since brough in a corporate health and safety manager and three corporate health and safety advisors, with an external construction health and safety consultant being appointed.
Measures already introduced include conflict management training; expanded lone working monitoring, now covering 60 staff across 14 teams; and quarterly health and safety forums where employees can raise concerns directly with the safety team.
Customer-facing staff and managers are being trained to allow time out after difficult calls.
The council report, covering the period from October 2024 to September 2025, shows that overall health and safety incidents rose in general to 191, up from 169 the previous year.
The report also includes injuries to employees, visitors and contractors, which fell from 87 to 80 last year. The injuries include 30 reports of superficial scratches, 16 open wounds, two broken limbs and two dislocations.
Six incidents were serious enough to be reported.
One incident was recorded as “struck by moving object”, one “contact with moving machinery or material” and one incident involved an injury to a member of the public.
The report said the authority takes the safety of residents, staff, and visitors very seriously, and embracing a culture of ‘safety first’ is essential”.