“Be passionate and do your club proud"

That's the message from police ahead of this weekend's south coast derby

Aerial view of Fratton Park, home of Portsmouth FC
Author: Greg DeanPublished 22nd Jan 2026

Hampshire Police say their officers are 'match-ready' for this weekend's south coast Championship derby.

Portsmouth and Southampton face each other at Fratton Park at noon on Sunday.

Following on from the effective policing operation that ensured a safe game for all in September, specialist and experienced teams are committed to replicating that success for the return leg this weekend.

Chief Superintendent Simon Dodds, Gold Commander for the policing operation, said: “We’re incredibly proud of our officers and staff who played their part in helping to keep everyone safe during that first, highly anticipated, game between these two teams.

“It may not have been quite the game the fans were hoping for but from our perspective, it was a hugely successful policing operation, which passed without any major disorder and only a handful of arrests were necessary.

“It was great to see overwhelming support from the fans and the local community during and after the game and I am confident we can do the same again.

“We really appreciated that positive feedback from those fans who went to the game, who told us how impressed they were with how smoothly it all went, as well as those within the city who felt reassured by our presence.

“Our dedicated and professional teams have continued to work hard in preparation for this second game, working closely with both clubs to ensure we can replicate that success.

“Our approach continues to mirror that taken by the clubs, to help make fans feel safe and keep the football as the focus of the day.”

Due to the nature of our policing operation, fans may see different styles of policing compared to what they might normally see at a football match, with specially trained officers around the ground wearing protective equipment to help keep everyone safe.

The Hampshire force says they’ll also deploy other tactics that will not be visible, but all of which are designed to keep people safe.

Chief Superintendent Dodds added: “We have a vast amount of experience policing these sorts of games and with every game our knowledge grows, so we adapt our plans to ensure we have the right tactics, best technology and specialist teams in place to keep people safe.

“Where we did have to take action in September, this was swift and effective, with those who thought the rules didn’t apply to them finding themselves in court, facing the consequences.

“I hope this action reassures fans and reinforces that these are not just words; when we say we will stop those intent on causing disruption, we mean it.

“From our Dedicated Football Officers, to our Roads Policing Unit and Public Order and Neighbourhood teams, they are all ready to respond where required to ensure any threat of disruption is minimised, both for those attending the game and for those living and working within the local community.

“Public safety remains our priority, so my advice is, don’t let your club or yourself down because if you end up with a conviction and a Football Banning Order, like those did last year, this could have serious implications on your life that go far beyond a game of football.

“Be passionate, do your club proud and make sure that whatever the score on the day, it isn’t you left facing a bad result in court.

“We’re looking forward to helping to make this an enjoyable day for all and if any fans have any concerns on Sunday, please go and speak to one of our officers, who are there for your safety.”

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.