Former Somerset police inspector jailed for child sex offences

35 year old Thomas Kettleborough has been sentenced today (3rd April)

Author: Faye TryhornPublished 3rd Apr 2025

A former Avon and Somerset police inspector has been jailed after admitting child sex offences.

35 year old Thomas Kettleborough, pleaded guilty to arranging or facilitating the commission of a child sex offence; attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child; attempting to cause or incite a child to engage in sexual activity; one count of engaging in sexual communication with a child; and four counts of making an indecent photograph/pseudo-photograph of a child.

He's been sentenced at Exeter Crown Court today (Thursday 3rd April) to two years and eight months behind bars.

Kettleborough was also handed an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order and will be on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

He had been dismissed from the force following his guilty plea.

What happened?

Kettleborough was arrested in July 2023 by officers from the South West Regional Organised Crime Unit (SWROCU) after communicating with and travelling to meet who he thought was a child.

Instead, he was met by officers from the unit and arrested.

The further offences, including using Snapchat to sexually communicate with a boy, and making more than 150 indecent images of children, were discovered following examination of his phone and computer.

In a statement prepared for the sentencing hearing, the mother of a victim, said:

“I now live every day in fear for my children’s safety and the guilt I feel as a parent that I couldn’t protect my child has eaten away at me…But the reality is, it isn’t my son’s fault or anything I did or didn’t do as a parent. My son is a victim. It has affected the whole family more than I can ever explain, but I am so proud that my son had the strength and courage to come forward.”

Detective Inspector Dave Wells, who led the investigation, said: “The serious sexual offences against children that he’s been convicted of span a period of four years. Thomas Kettleborough was in a position of trust at the time, both as a police officer and as a volunteer for the Sea Cadets and the Royal Lifesaving Society, however he concealed his true identity through an online persona as ‘Liam’, ‘L S’ and ‘Liamss5506’.

“Specialist investigators are ready to listen and investigate any reports relating to Thomas Kettleborough or any other matters of concern. I want people to know that they will be believed.

“Thomas Kettleborough is now behind bars. I hope if there are others that have been affected by this case, they now feel empowered to tell someone, if they are ready to do so.”

Assistant Chief Constable Joanne Hall, from Avon and Somerset Police, said: “The public will be appalled by the vile and manipulative actions of this former officer.

“He was caught following a policing operation designed to keep children safe which has resulted in his wider offending being identified.

"We fully welcome the fact he has been jailed today which will protect children from further harm and our thoughts are with those directly impacted by his crimes.

“As well as encouraging the public to report any further concerns to the investigation team, we’ll be offering welfare support to our own staff, especially those who worked with him who’ve been left distressed by the terrible crimes he’s admitted to.”

If you have any relevant information and want to speak to specialist officers directly about this case, you can contact officers by calling 101, quoting reference number 5224157243.

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.