Wiltshire Police officer admits assaulting 13-year-old boy in police station car park
It happened outside Monkton Park police station last October (2025)
Last updated 22nd May 2026
A Wiltshire Police officer has admitted assaulting a 13-year-old boy in a police station car park in Chippenham.
The incident happened outside Monkton Park police station in the early hours of October 14 last year (2025) after the boy had dialled 999 to report being threatened by the occupants of a vehicle.
PC Daniel Rusling, 30, appeared at Bristol Magistrates' court yesterday (21 May) where he pleaded guilty to one count of assault by beating.
He has been bailed to appear in court on June 30.
The criminal charge came after an independent investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) who are also overseeing the misconduct elements of the case.
The IOPC said PC Rusling "repeatedly pushed the 13-year-old and dragged him by his clothing" during the incident as well as swearing at him when he asked for a lift home.
It added that the charge against PC Rusling was brought after it was alleged the level of force used against the boy was unlawful.
A spokesperson for the IOPC said: "We decided to independently investigate the matter following a mandatory conduct referral to us by Wiltshire Police on 28 October 2025.
"A file of evidence was passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) on 4 April and on 8 April they authorised one charge of assault by beating.
"Our conduct investigation continues."
Deputy Chief Constable of Wiltshire Police Mark Cooper said: "I fully appreciate the impact this case will have on our communities.
"As police officers, our primary function is to protect those most vulnerable in our communities. Clearly, this officer’s actions have gone against everything we stand for.
"It is important that we preserve the integrity of the ongoing, independent investigation, but I am committed to keeping our communities updated on this matter."