Tourist numbers dropped by a fifth after Wiltshire Council defunded Visit Wiltshire

The new Lib Dem leadership is aiming to re-energise Wiltshire's tourist industry

Author: Peter Davison, Local Democracy ReporterPublished 13th Oct 2025

The number of tourists coming to the county dropped by more than a fifth last year: the year Wiltshire Council voted to defund destination management organisation Visit Wiltshire for a second time.

During a debate on tourism at Wiltshire Council’s cabinet meeting this week (Tuesday, October 7), council leader Ian Thorn said: “There has been a 22 per cent drop in visit numbers into Wiltshire over past year – I find it quite shocking.”

Tourism in Wiltshire is worth an estimated £1.5 billion annually – accounting for nine per cent of the county’s GDP – and the industry supports 28,000 jobs locally.

In 2023, and again in 2024, the Conservative administration voted to axe the council’s financial support of Visit Wiltshire.

Justifying the decision in 2024, then council leader Richard Clewer (Conservative) claimed that Wiltshire was “quite significantly” the “worst performing county in the South West for tourism”, financially generating less than Gloucestershire, Bath and Bristol, with low visitor numbers that are “getting worse.”

When they came to power at the May elections, the Liberal Democrats pledged to re-establish the council’s relationship with Visit Wiltshire.

On Tuesday, Cabinet agreed to move forward with the development of a Destination Management Plan for the county, at a cost of £50,000.

This decision follows the formation of the Wiltshire Local Visitor Economic Partnership, which was endorsed by the council in January, while the Conservative administration was still in charge.

The LVEP, accredited by Visit England, is led by Visit Wiltshire and aims to strengthen the strategic coordination of tourism across the county.

A key requirement for all accredited LVEPs is the production of the management plan, which sets out how partners will work together to make the county a better place for visitors and tourists.

The plan will serve as a strategic framework to guide the development, marketing, and management of Wiltshire’s visitor economy, ensuring alignment with national best practice and local priorities.

Cabinet agreed that Visit Wiltshire would lead on the creation of the DMP, as it can utilise its established relationships across the tourism sector and its deep understanding of the county’s visitor economy.

To deliver this, the proposal seeks to reverse previous budget decision – established in February 2023 – which ceased funding for Visit Wiltshire at the end of the 2023/24 financial year.

This does not re-establish the tourism service that was previously funded, but instead enables Visit Wiltshire to deliver the Destination Management Plan.

The decision will now go to the Full Council meeting on Tuesday, October 21 when members will vote on specifically on the budget wording, as the original decision to end funding was part of 2022’s Budget and Policy Framework.

Cllr Helen Belcher, cabinet member for economic development, said: “Wiltshire’s visitor economy is a vital part of our county’s identity and prosperity, and I’m delighted that Cabinet has endorsed the development of a Destination Management Plan.

“This marks a significant step forward in our commitment to supporting tourism and the many local businesses that depend on it as part of a thriving visitor economy.

“It also ensures compliance with Visit England’s expectations that Local Visitor Economic Partnerships receive public sector funding.

“The plan will provide a clear, strategic framework to help us work collaboratively with Visit Wiltshire and other partners, ensuring that Wiltshire’s unique heritage, landscapes, and attractions are promoted effectively and sustainably.”

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.