Tensions run high in Trowbridge as locals make last attempt to save ‘the people’s car park’
It seems likely that a proposed transfer of the ownership of the St Stephen’s multi-storey to the owner of Castle Place shopping centre, which is attached to the car park, will go ahead
Tensions ran high at an extraordinary meeting of Trowbridge Town Council last night (Monday, October 6) as locals made a last ditch attempt to save ‘the people’s car park’.
Invoking the spirit of the fabled covenant that – many believe – gave locals the inalienable right to park for free in the town, some demanded that the citizens of Wiltshire’s county town be compensated for the loss of the perk.
But as Wiltshire Council meets today (Tuesday, October 7) it seems likely that a proposed transfer of the ownership of the St Stephen’s multi-storey to the owner of Castle Place shopping centre, which is attached to the car park, will go ahead.
Meanwhile, the car park remains closed to all, with essential maintenance work being carried out.
“Extensive repairs” will take until January 2026, at a cost of £350,000.
During a lively meeting it was clear to see that, over its 51-year history, a kind of folklore had developed about the car park and the rights of ‘the people of Trowbridge’ to use it free of charge.
One resident described it as “the people’s car park,” and there were calls for Wiltshire Council to “let the citizens of the town decide” what happens to the facility.
Wiltshire Councillor Chris Vaughan (Trowbridge Park, Reform UK) told the meeting he was disappointed in the way Wiltshire Council had handled the process. “It has not been transparent,” he said. “It’s all being discussed in confidential parts of meetings.”
He called for the people of Trowbridge to be compensated with free parking elsewhere if the multi-storey was lost.
His Reform UK colleague on Wiltshire Council, Boaz Barry (Westbury North) agreed. “We the public are not being kept in the picture,” he said. “A six figure sum will be paid for essential maintenance. What’s going on with our money?”
Cllr Bob Price, former chairman of the West Wiltshire District Council, attempted to clarify the situation from a historic perspective: how the car park had been sold by Trowbridge Urban District Council and that an agreement had been signed with the owners of Castle Park – and not the people of Trowbridge – for free parking in return for electricity.
“As part of West Wiltshire District Council I could never persuade the other five towns to give us money to maintain free parking in Trowbridge,” he said. “And I cannot see other towns giving Trowbridge free parking now when they don’t have it.”
Cllr Mel Jacob, who represents Trowbridge Paxcroft at both town and county level and is the leader of Trowbridge Town Council and deputy leader of Wiltshire Council, attempted to clarify the situation.
“Trowbridge Town Council does not have a role in the decision making,” she said.
“The covenant is the source of different opinions and has caused some confusion. Wiltshire Council has sought legal advice, and the position is that the covenant is between the owner of the car park and the owner of the shopping centre.
“If the owner of the car park and the owner of the shopping centre are the same person, they are not likely to challenge themselves.”
“Reports dating back to 2020 show the car park needed maintenance. It didn’t happen. So why is it being repaired now? Because the surveyor says it’s dangerous.”
She said that Trowbridge was well-served for parking with around 300 spaces in Wiltshire Council car parks, and around 1,200 in private car parks, including those of supermarkets.
“But people who are working in town will have to pay for parking that they did not have to pay for before,” she said.