Call to scrap £14m Oxford bridge plan

Construction's yet to start on the crossing at Oxpens

An artist's impression of the proposed bridge
Author: Esme Kenney, Local Democracy ReporterPublished 23rd Jan 2026

A councillor has said plans for a £14 million bridge in Oxford should be cancelled so the money can be put towards other projects.

It comes as Oxford City Council is set to debate whether to ‘examine alternatives’ to the Oxpens River Bridge if the project does not go ahead.

The walking and cycling bridge would connect Oxpens Meadow and Grandpont Nature Park, to serve new developments in the area.

It was approved in 2024, but construction has not started yet due to numerous delays, including a judicial review that failed.

The Lib Dems put forward a motion requesting that leader of the council to ask the Government if they can use the funds for other projects, if the bridge does not go ahead.

Green councillor Lois Muddiman, who represents Osney and St Thomas, said: “I support the motion asking for the funds to be re-allocated to projects such as a pedestrian bridge over the A40 at Barton or a bridge over the Thames at Jackdaw Lane, if the Oxpens Bridge does not go ahead.

“I’d like to see the motion go further and call for the Oxpens Bridge project to be cancelled so that the funds are diverted to projects that would help to make walking and cycling easier and safer for many more Oxford residents.”

The costs of the bridge have increased from £10.3 million to £14 million.

The motion will be debated at the full council meeting next Monday, January 26.

Labour councillor Susanna Pressel, who represents the same ward, previously said she wanted the bridge to be built this year, and that pedestrians and cyclists “definitely need a far better and more direct route”.

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.