Man handed life sentence after attack in Newcastle home
Last updated 19th May 2026
A man has been handed a life sentence for attempted murder – after attacking two people at their Newcastle home last year.
At about 6.45pm on Friday, November 21, police received a report from the ambulance service of concern for a man and woman inside an address on Durham Street in Elswick.
Emergency services attended where the victims – both aged in their 60s – had sustained serious injuries with a hammer at the hands of offender Ross Clancy.
Clancy, who was not known to the pair previously, immediately fled the scene in the aftermath before officers arrived, stealing the couple's car in doing so.
While the man was later discharged from hospital, the woman has remained there ever since with life-changing injuries and requiring 24-hour care.
Clancy then went on to carry out a series of crimes at various premises across Gateshead and Newcastle, as well as assaulting another woman in Elswick with an iron causing injuries to her head.
The now 40-year-old was arrested on Sunday, November 23, and later charged with a string of offences including two counts of attempted murder.
While Clancy initially admitted two counts of attempted robbery, burglary, three counts of robbery, theft and theft of a motor vehicle – he denied assault and attempted murder.
On Tuesday, March 24, on the second day of his trial at Newcastle Crown Court, he instead pleaded guilty to one count of attempted murder relating to the female victim, grievous bodily harm with intent relating to the male victim, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm relating to the other woman.
The judge further remanded Clancy, of Dunholme Road, Newcastle, into custody – and warned him to expect a lengthy custodial sentence.
Today (Tuesday) he appeared before the same court where he was jailed for life and must serve a minimum of 28 years before he could be considered for parole.
In victim impact statements read at the hearing, the woman’s family spoke of how their lives have been “completely turned upside down and will never be the same again” following the brutal attack on their loved one.
The woman’s partner, who was also seriously injured by Clancy, shared how he “wanted to be strong” when told she may not survive, while also recovering from his own injuries.
He said: “Seeing her so seriously injured will stay with me forever. We are supposed to feel safe in our own homes and the fact that someone has attacked us both in our safe place is horrendous.
“As a result of this ferocious attack, my partner is now disabled, disfigured, has substantial brain damage, she will never fully recover.”
He added: “Our happy lives and routines are all gone now. I bare the mental scars of that horrific savage attack every day, it is impossible to switch off from it, so many things remind me of that evening.
“The reality is I will never forget the events of that night however I will have to slowly try and rebuild my life.”
The victim’s sister shared how she received the “devastating news” while out of the country, leaving her feeling “completely helpless being so far away.”
She said: “In the first weeks, we lived in a constant state of fear, not knowing whether she would survive at all. Every day felt like we were waiting for the worst possible news.
“Although she has made some progress, the truth we are now forced to face is that she will never live independently again. The life she had – her autonomy, her dignity, her ability to make her own choices and care for herself – has been taken from her. She faces a future of ongoing care, uncertainty, and dependence on others for even the most basic aspects of daily life. This is a profound and permanent loss.”
She added: “Whatever sentence her attacker receives, the reality is that he has given my sister a life sentence. The life she knew has been taken from her, and the impact on our entire family will last for the rest of our lives.”
The victim’s parents said: “Our family has been changed forever. What should have been a time of reflection and quiet has become one of trauma and loss. We have lost the child we knew, even though they are still with us, and we must now live with that reality every single day.”
They added: “She is our child. What makes it even harder is that the hospital is far away, and we are no longer strong enough to travel. We cannot sit beside her, hold her hand, or speak to her as we would wish. There is a particular kind of anguish in being separated from your child when she needs you most.”
Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Mark Atherton of the Major Investigation Team at Northumbria Police, said: “Within just three minutes and using a hammer, Clancy carried out a savage and unprovoked attack on a man and woman in their own home, a place where they should have been safe.
“He was a complete stranger to them, and I can honestly say this is one of the most brutal assaults I have seen during my policing service.
“Most concerningly, they had never met Ross Clancy before who went on to shamelessly steal from them and go on a crime-spree after fleeing the scene.
“Attacks in these circumstances are incredibly uncommon in our region – and thankfully, we were able to quickly catch up with Clancy and put a halt to his reckless offending.
“I would also like to thank our blue-light colleagues at the North East Ambulance Service, who were supported by response policing officers to deliver life-saving treatment to both victims in the aftermath.”
Det Chief Insp Atherton added: “Though today’s outcome has resulted in a lengthy prison sentence for Clancy, this will never take away the pain and trauma he has inflicted, including to the woman who remains in hospital with life-changing injuries.
“Her future is unknown, and her family have been left devastated, knowing she will likely need round the clock care for the rest of her life.
“While attacks in these circumstances are incredibly rare in our region, violence of any kind is completely unacceptable, and we’ll continue to take robust action in putting offenders before the courts.”