Archie’s Story - Raising awareness to help prevent further tragedy
A new resource, created after the explosion in Benwell, which killed 7 year old Archie York, will be shared to help avoid further tragedy
The parents of a Newcastle schoolboy who was killed when a drugs lab exploded beneath their home are helping prevent other innocent lives being lost.
Seven-year-old Archie York died in the horrific blast in Violet Close, Benwell, in October 2024.
The catastrophic explosion came from a flat underneath his home which was being used for a dangerous and illegal operation producing cannabis shatter, a concentrated form of cannabis extracted using highly flammable butane gas – with more than 100 gas bottles recovered from the wreckage.
Archie’s parents, Katherine Errington and Robbie York, survived alongside their baby son Finley and have since been working with city leaders to help expose the terrifying threats posed by shatter labs.
On Monday, Newcastle’s community safety bosses gave unanimous approval to Archie’s Story – a powerful document developed with his family which details the devastating events and their life-changing impact.
It will be used to help educate authorities across the country on the dangers of cannabis concentrate production, highlight the warning signs of a potential lab, and provide clear guidance on what to do if suspicions arise.
Katherine told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that she hoped that sharing Archie’s story far and wide will help save others from a repeat of their tragedy.
She said: “I have been working hard with the council to do something like this because Archie lost his life through illegal activity that was going on. He was all about helping people and if he was here today he would be elbowing me saying ‘go on mum, do something, make a change’ so that no other family has to go through what we have.
“I want to turn the negative into a positive so nobody has to go through that. That is what I have kept saying and I mean it.”
Members of the Safe Newcastle Partnership heard on Monday afternoon that the explosion was an avoidable tragedy and that the new awareness-raising resource was “unapologetically hard-hitting”, featuring photos of Archie and detailed testimony from both parents about the night of the explosion.
Drug dealer Reece Galbraith had been running the shatter lab alongside Jason Laws, who was also killed in the explosion, with the former having been jailed for 14 years.
Six homes were destroyed in the blast, which led to 51 households being displaced and an estimated £3.7 million worth of damage.
Safe Newcastle Partnership members, which include Northumbria Police and the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, were told that a further two shatter labs had been uncovered in Newcastle since October 2024.
Newcastle City Council leader Karen Kilgour said that the Violet Close tragedy “shook our entire city to its core” and praised Archie’s family for their “extraordinary strength”.
She added: “Archie was a much-loved little boy who deserved the chance to grow up and achieve his dreams, and it is in his memory that we share his story.
“By telling Archie’s story, we hope to shine a light on the dangers of drug production and the devastating impact it can have on lives and communities. Awareness and vigilance truly can save lives, and that is the message we want to carry forward.
“Archie’s parents, Katherine and Robbie, have shown extraordinary strength and courage in the face of unimaginable loss. Their hope is that no other family should ever endure the heartbreak they live with every day. We are deeply grateful to them for allowing us to honour Archie in this way, and we share their wish that his story brings change, saves lives, and ensures Archie is remembered with love and purpose.”