Norfolk housing trust says extra Govt. funding should have come earlier for maximum impact

Ministers wanted to prioritise any extra money for tackling homelessness

Author: Tom ClabonPublished 21st Jan 2025

The head of a housing trust in Norfolk is telling us that extra funding to tackle homelessness this winter should have come earlier - so it could reach the areas of greatest need, in plenty of time.

The Government's tripled funding to support rough-sleepers this winter, with £30 million being put towards providing emergency accommodation to the record levels of those on the streets.

"It's not really acceptable"

Dr Jan Sheldon is from St. Martin's based in Norwich: "The homelessness sector is one that really struggles with short-term funding.

"Every year we're still thinking are we going to be funded for that year? It's not really acceptable and it doesn't allow organisations like ourselves to build a solid foundation to make ourselves future proof.

"The overall Government plan currently falls short with the lack of social housing plans. We know that we need 90 thousand new social homes every year for the next decade to help us end the housing crisis."

What's being announced, in more detail:

It is understood the money was left over in the departmental budget and ministers wanted to prioritise any extra money towards this issue.

Some 280 councils in England, including all London boroughs, will be given some of the extra funding to enable more people to move from the streets into safe accommodation with access to medical treatment.

Homelessness minister Rushanara Ali, who will appear before a committee in Parliament on Tuesday to be questioned by MPs on Government efforts to tackle homelessness and rough sleeping, said many people had been "let down by the system for far too long".

She said: "This Government is more determined than ever to turn the tide on years of failure to properly invest in our frontline services.

"That is why I am tripling the emergency funding from £10 million to £30 million for councils to help the most vulnerable into safe and secure housing with warm beds, hot meals and specialist care."

What's the Government said on this?

The Government said it had committed the largest-ever investment in homelessness prevention services of almost £1 billion for this year, funding longer-term help for rough sleepers with mental health and substance abuse problems.

The Autumn budget also promised that 5,000 new social homes would be built- through £500 million of fresh funding.

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.