York City and Salford's pre-season friendly abandoned due to alleged racial abuse

North Yorkshire Police said a 23-year-old York man was arrested in connection with the allegation and has been taken into police custody

York City's football ground
Author: Katie LyonsPublished 12th Jul 2025
Last updated 12th Jul 2025

Friday's (11 July) pre-season friendly between York City and Salford was abandoned due to alleged racial abuse.

Salford left the pitch with the score level at 3-all - with the club saying some of their players had been targeted.

York City Football Club posted on X to say they are 'horrified to learn of allegations of racial abuse aimed at Salford City players.'

They go on to say both clubs, alongside the match officials, decided to take both teams off the pitch at that time.

The club is working with North Yorkshire Police to investigate the allegations, and York City said they condemn racism in all forms.

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.