'Crucial' law change needed following death of teenage kickboxer

15-year-old Alex Eastwood from Fazakerley died after taking part in an unsanctioned match in Wigan

Alex Eastwood
Author: Leo ChristianPublished 8th Jul 2025
Last updated 8th Jul 2025

A family from Liverpool are set to appear in Parliament later this evening to debate child combat sports safeguarding next week in light of death of Alex Eastwood, who died in an unregulated kickboxing event in Wigan last year.

MP for Liverpool Walton, Dan Carden, has secured an adjournment debate in the House of Commons on Tuesday 8 July to address the urgent need for national safeguarding of child participation in combat sports, following the death of 15-year-old kickboxing champion Alex Eastwood.

The debate will commence when business in the Chamber finishes - which on a Tuesday is typically at 7pm.

This follows the conclusion of an inquest last month which raised serious concerns around the organisation and medical oversight of the unsanctioned bout in which Alex sustained a fatal brain injury.

The coroner described the approach by match organisers as “chaotic and somewhat disjointed”, expressing concern that participants and their parents were not fully aware of the risks involved. He noted a lack of confidence in the organisational safeguards expected to protect children in such activities.

The coroner also issued a Prevention of Future Deaths report before the inquest began - flagging that if a match is unofficial or unsanctioned, there is no guideline of what minimum standards must be met to provide safeguarding for children.

In addition to the parliamentary debate, Lisa Nandy MP, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, will meet with Alex Eastwood’s parents Ste and Nikita on Monday 14 July.

This comes after the family requested an urgent meeting with Ms Nandy to share their experience and to discuss proposals for reform to protect children in combat sports. The request was made in a letter from Alex’s parents’ legal representatives at law firm Leigh Day.

The letter said:

“Now that Alex’s inquest is over, his family would like to meet with you to share their experience and to discuss with you proposed options for change. Children up and down the country are taking part in combat sports such as kickboxing daily. The lack of minimum standards to be applied to unsanctioned fights and in respect of medical care mean that those children are at risk of serious injury or worse.

“Alex’s family are themselves aware of two incidents of suspected concussion that have occurred in Fazakerley alone since the Area Coroner made his report. They do not want any other family to go through the heartbreak that they have and believe this matter is crushingly urgent.”

Alex’s family are represented by Leigh Day personal injury team partners, Jill Paterson and Thomas Jervis, with solicitor Charlie Holt.

Alex’s family said:

“We welcome the adjournment debate and are grateful to Dan Carden for bringing this issue forward. No family should have to go through what we have. We want to ensure Alex’s death leads to real change and that children across the UK are properly protected.”

Dan Carden MP said:

“I’m proud to have secured a debate in Alex Eastwood’s memory to push for stronger safeguards for children in combat sports. No child should be put at such risk. It’s time for clear national standards to prevent another tragedy like Alex’s.”

Jill Paterson said:

“This debate is a crucial moment for children’s sport. Alex’s inquest has shone a light on serious and disturbing shortcomings relating to children’s safety when participating in combat sports. Knowing the determination of Alex’s parents, they will not stop until meaningful change has taken place.”

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.