Hainault officer 'disappointed' to be injured
The trial of a man accused of killed a schoolboy continues
Last updated 12th Jun 2025
Jurors have been told a police officer who was hurt during a sword attack in north east London was disappointed to have been injured
Inspector Moloy Campbell told the court it was because it stopped him from trying to detain the suspect.
Before arriving at the scene, he heard on the radio that one of his colleagues had been stabbed.
A member of the public waved him down and pointed towards a car park and garage area.
Mr Campbell told jurors: "Our purpose was to arrest and protect the other officers. I decided to confront the defendant."
He sprayed him first but the defendant "blocked" the move and "came for" the officer, jurors heard.
Mr Campbell went on: "I dropped my spray and drew my baton. I struck him or attempted to strike him. I believe I connected with him at least twice.
"Mr Monzo was slashing at me with a large sword. He made contact with my hand and certainly with my bodyworn camera."
'I could not carry on what I was trying to do'
Asked how he felt, the officer told jurors: "I was disappointed to put it bluntly because it meant I could not carry on what I was trying to do."
Trial judge Mr Justice Bennathan observed: "Presumably you were terrified because someone is slashing at you with a sword."
The witness replied: "It was frightening. I remember my priority to try to carry on."
He said he saw blood when he looked down at his hand and his baton was also covered in blood.
Ms Campbell said he found himself "backed into a corner" and withdrew, and asked a colleague to put a tourniquet on his thumb.
He was treated at the scene and taken to hospital as the defendant was detained and arrested a short time later, the court was told.
Previously the jury was told Marcus Arduini Monzo, 37, killed, skinned and deboned his pet cat Wizard before he launched a 20-minute spree of violence in Hainault, north-east London, on April 30 last year.
During the rampage, he virtually decapitated Daniel and attacked a pedestrian, two police officers and a couple in their own home, jurors have heard.
'He screamed in delight'
One witness described Monzo screaming "in delight" after mortally wounding the schoolboy who had been wearing his PE kit with his earphones on.
Afterwards, he likened events to the Hollywood movie The Hunger Games and claimed to have an alternative personality of a "professional assassin".
Monzo denies Daniel's murder and the attempted murders of Mr Iwule, Sindy Arias, Henry De Los Rios Polania and Ms Mechem-Whitfield, as well as wounding Mr Campbell with intent.
He also denies aggravated burglary and possession of a bladed article relating to a kitchen knife.
Monzo previously admitted two counts of having an offensive weapon, namely two swords.
The trail continues
Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.