Halifax man jailed for 15 years for drugging and raping victim
The attack took place in June 2023 in Burnley
A 30-year-old man from Halifax has been sentenced to 15 years for drugging and raping a victim in the Cliviger area of Burnley in June 2023.
Akaash Ibra, formerly of Paddock Lane, Halifax and now of no fixed address, attacked the victim after luring her to a car park on an isolated road.
Ibra denied the offence but was found guilty by a unanimous jury during a trial at Preston Crown Court earlier this year.
He was sentenced at the same court on Tuesday 16th December. His sentence includes 10 years in custody, of which he must serve two-thirds before being eligible for parole, followed by five years on extended licence after the judge deemed him a dangerous offender.
During sentencing, the court heard a statement from the victim, who detailed the profound impact of the attack. She said:
“This statement will be the first that I have articulated the extent of the trauma I was subjected to, though the impact that I endured can only be put into so many words.
“I remained silent in the depths of this darkness, suffering at my lowest all alone. Nevertheless, alone I walked into that courtroom confronting all this trauma, to speak my truth in pursuit of having you brought to justice - and I did exactly that.
“I give you my pain, and the burden of this now lies solely with you. In a strange way, I almost pity you – to be haunted by your own darkness – a darkness I know all too well, as it slowly begins to turn your conscious septic and contaminate your soul.”
Detective Constable Sam Holland, who works in the Rape and Serious Sexual Offence Team, said:
“Ibra presents a clear risk to women due to his abhorrent views and behaviours towards them. In this case, he isolated his victim, drugged her and then raped her.
“The victim in this case has shown incredible strength in firstly coming forward to tell the police what Ibra had done to her, and then by giving evidence at court.
“I hope this conviction and sentence encourages other women to come forward if they have been the victim of a sexual crime, knowing they will be listened to, believed and that we will do everything in our power to put their abuser before the courts.”
If you or someone you know has been a victim of a sexual offence, you can report it online via the Lancashire Constabulary's website or call 101.