Government to restore historic Southport Pier
It's part of the Government's Plan for Change.
The Chancellor has announced that the Government will restore Southport's historic pier, with the expectation that restoration of the Merseyside landmark will begin early next year.
Restoring pride in communities is a part of the Government’s Plan for Change to drive economic growth by attracting businesses, opportunity and jobs to every part of the country.
The up to £20 million investment, which is subject to completion of a full business case assessment, will support Sefton Council, owners of the Grade II listed pier, with its restoration. It will support local jobs, attract tourism and opportunity in Southport and the wider Liverpool City Region. Completion of the restoration and reopening to the public is expected to be within three years.
Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves said:
"Southport Pier is a beloved landmark. A national treasure that has been allowed to fall into disrepair, no longer. I’m proud that through our Plan for Change families across Merseyside should be able to enjoy this wonderful attraction again.”
Business and Trade Secretary Peter Kyle said:
“I know how important this iconic pier is to Southport and Merseyside and getting it back up and running will have huge benefits. This is not just about restoring an historic landmark, but regenerating it to bring prosperity in a way that people can see and feel.
“My department will now work quickly with local partners to agree a business case to deliver on creating jobs and helping people feel pride in their community.”
Steve Rotheram, Mayor of the Liverpool City Region said:
“Southport Pier holds a special place in the hearts of people across the Liverpool City region and beyond. Generations of families have walked along it, shared ice creams on it, and made memories that last a lifetime. Its closure has been felt deeply by the whole community, which is why today’s announcement will mean so much to local people.
“I want to thank the Government for listening and committing the funding needed to restore this much-loved landmark to its former glory. Bringing the pier back to life will help protect local jobs, attract more visitors and give Southport a real boost. Working with Sefton Council, we’ll make sure the pier once again stands proud as both a symbol of our heritage and a driver of future prosperity in our growing £6.25bn visitor economy.”
Southport Pier, originally opened in 1860, is one of the oldest iron piers in the country and a significant tourist attraction for the North West. Its restoration will support the local tourism economy and preserve an important piece of Britain's Victorian engineering heritage.
The restoration project at the Pier is already at an advanced stage, which means funding can be deployed rapidly towards the work once the business case is approved.
The funding towards Southport Pier’s restoration comes as part of the Growth Mission Fund, previously announced by the Chancellor at the Spending Review. The fund provides £240 million over four years to expedite local projects that contribute to economic growth. Projects that will be targeted will support local job creation, invest in economic regeneration, or maintain heritage assets—filling gaps where projects might otherwise struggle to secure funding through existing programmes.
Further projects to be funded as part of the Growth Mission Fund will be confirmed in due course. Today (Saturday 27th September) the Chancellor was in Southport to announce the Government will restore the town’s historic pier, with the expectation that restoration of the Merseyside landmark will begin early next year.
Restoring pride in communities is a vital part of the Government’s Plan for Change to drive economic growth by attracting businesses, opportunity and jobs to every part of the country.
The up to £20 million investment, which is subject to completion of a full business case assessment, will support Sefton Council, owners of the Grade II listed pier, with its restoration. It will support local jobs, attract tourism and opportunity in Southport and the wider Liverpool City Region. Completion of the restoration and reopening to the public is expected to be within three years.
Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves said:
"Southport Pier is a beloved landmark. A national treasure that has been allowed to fall into disrepair, no longer. I’m proud that through our Plan for Change families across Merseyside should be able to enjoy this wonderful attraction again.
Business and Trade Secretary Peter Kyle said:
“I know how important this iconic pier is to Southport and Merseyside and getting it back up and running will have huge benefits. This is not just about restoring an historic landmark, but regenerating it to bring prosperity in a way that people can see and feel.
“My department will now work quickly with local partners to agree a business case to deliver on creating jobs and helping people feel pride in their community.”
Steve Rotheram, Mayor of the Liverpool City Region said:
“Southport Pier holds a special place in the hearts of people across the Liverpool City region and beyond. Generations of families have walked along it, shared ice creams on it, and made memories that last a lifetime. Its closure has been felt deeply by the whole community, which is why today’s announcement will mean so much to local people.
“I want to thank the Government for listening and committing the funding needed to restore this much-loved landmark to its former glory. Bringing the pier back to life will help protect local jobs, attract more visitors and give Southport a real boost. Working with Sefton Council, we’ll make sure the pier once again stands proud as both a symbol of our heritage and a driver of future prosperity in our growing £6.25bn visitor economy.”
Southport Pier, originally opened in 1860, is one of the oldest iron piers in the country and a significant tourist attraction for the North West. Its restoration will support the local tourism economy and preserve an important piece of Britain's Victorian engineering heritage.
The restoration project at the Pier is already at an advanced stage, which means funding can be deployed rapidly towards the work once the business case is approved.
The funding towards Southport Pier’s restoration comes as part of the Growth Mission Fund, previously announced by the Chancellor at the Spending Review. The fund provides £240 million over four years to expedite local projects that contribute to economic growth. Projects that will be targeted will support local job creation, invest in economic regeneration, or maintain heritage assets—filling gaps where projects might otherwise struggle to secure funding through existing programmes.
Further projects to be funded as part of the Growth Mission Fund will be confirmed in due course.