Connor Barron to miss up to three months through injury

Published 9th Jan 2026
Last updated 9th Jan 2026

Rangers midfielder Connor Barron is set to miss up to three months through injury.

Danny Rohl confirmed the 23-year old will be out for between 8 and 12 weeks after picking up an issue in Tuesday's win over Aberdeen.

Dujon Sterling has also been ruled out but on a shorter-term basis.

The versatile defender faces another two weeks on the sidelines after just returning from a longer lay-off.

Barron set up two goals against his former side earlier this week but was forced off with three minutes to go.

Head coach Rohl has confirmed the Scotland call-up has damaged knee ligaments - forcing him out of a key spell in the title run-in.

The German boss said: "We won the game on Tuesday, but we lost two players after this game.

"With Dujon, it looks not so bad, I think Dujon could be available in two, three weeks.

"I think this is OK. We have the Scottish Cup game, then we have the Europa League game and then after that maybe he's back.

"Connor is a big loss. I think he will be out around eight to 12 weeks, speak about March, April, at the minute.

"Yeah, this is football. It's a little bit like since I've been here, a never-ending story, when you have a team together and you try to grow and give them confidence and you can make the same starting 11,

"Then you have new injuries. But I think in the last couple of weeks, we did well, we always find again, a solution, and for Sunday, this again is what we have to do.

"I think it's not just Connor. I think the relationship with Nico (Raskin) was very special when you look on the pitch that was very fluid, that helped each other on the pitch, then in the last two games you saw as well, Dio (Mohamed Diomande), this three-man midfield was very strong.

"They dictate the rhythm, they won a lot of balls, and this is what we, of course, miss, but it's time then for maybe other players to step in and take the responsibility."

The Ibrox head coach also confirmed he hopes to make additions to his squad before their game on Sunday.

Westerlo left-back Tuur Rommens is set to join for a fee of around £3.5million and Sturm Graz midfielder Tochi Chukwuani is also finalising a £4million move.

Rohl would not confirm names, but asked if he anticipated having new faces available for the trip to Pittodrie, he said: "Hopefully, yes. But of course, then it's a big decision.

"Maybe the new signings won't train so much with the group. You have to make sure they are ready, give them also the right opportunity to show what they can do.

"And this then a basic decision for me in the next 24 hours when they arrive.

"I cannot confirm yet because you never know what happens in the next 24 hours.

"We are in a good way. We are positive.

"Jayden Meghoma (left-back) did really well in the last couple of weeks. But if you have an injury there, then it's good to have all of the competition on this position.

"There's no secret about the number six position that we have to strengthen this area.

"And now with Connor, it changed our situation a little bit as well. "

--

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.