Nine teenagers plead guilty after violence in Southend
Nine teenagers have pleaded guilty to offences after violence broke out in the Essex seaside town of Southend-on-Sea last summer, police have said
The group, all of whom are male and aged between 14 and 18, were charged after youths, some brandishing machetes, fought on the seafront on the evening of July 30.
While several had previously admitted to some offences, nine of them had guilty pleas accepted at a hearing at Basildon Crown Court on Wednesday, according to Essex Police.
Those who admitted offences are:
- Tyler Omo-Irogho, 18, of Clarendon Road in Watford, admitted assaulting an emergency worker, violent disorder and possession of a bladed article.
- Michael King, 18, of Crescent Road in South Woodford, admitted violent disorder and conspiracy to commit GBH.
- Mekai Brown, 18, of Higham Road in Woodford Green, admitted violent disorder and conspiracy to commit GBH.
- Lucas Braga, 18, from Pitchford Street in Stratford, admitted violent disorder and possession of a bladed article. He was 17 at the time of the offences.
- Isaac Bello, 18, of Prospect Road in Woodford Green, admitted violent disorder and possession of a bladed article. He was 17 at the time of the offences.
- A 16-year-old boy from London admitted violent disorder, conspiracy to commit GBH, possession of a prohibited firearm and possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear or violence.
- A 17-year-old boy from London admitted violent disorder and possession of a bladed article.
- A 16-year-old boy from Basildon admitted violent disorder and possession of a bladed article.
- A 15-year-old boy from Pitsea admitted violent disorder, conspiracy to commit GBH and possession of an offensive weapon. He was 14 at the time of the offences.
Southend district commander Dave Browning said in a statement: "We're confident, and the figures show, incidents of disorder and violence remain rare in Southend.
"But one incident is too many and we're always alert to such reports.
"Where incidents arise, we will act and we will use powers available to us to protect the public.
"I am glad to welcome everyone to our city again this summer to visit the seafront, enjoy our famous pier and take a trip to the beach.
"But be in no doubt that if you come here to commit crime, our officers will be waiting, you will be arrested and you will face justice."
All nine defendants will be sentenced at the same court during the week commencing July 14, the force added.
A 10th person, Hamza Dinbil, has also been charged with violent disorder and possession of a bladed article in a public place in connection with the same incident.
The 18-year-old, of Corporation Street in Stratford, has been remanded in custody until a hearing at Basildon Crown Court on April 28, police said.