Decision delayed on major Freeby solar farm amid safety and planning concerns

Councillors defer vote on large Leicestershire solar farm over safety, farmland loss and missing information

Author: Caitlin James, LDRSPublished 17th May 2026

A major decision on plans for another solar farm in part of Leicestershire has been put off after more information was requested.

An application to build a solar farm bigger than 3,000 tennis courts near Freeby in Leicestershire went before members of Melton Borough Council’s Planning Committee on Thursday, May 15.

The scheme would see land east of Waltham Road used for a renewable energy project that could power up to 10,000 homes and would be decommissioned in 40 years’ time.

There are already at least 10 solar farms fully operational, under construction, or applying for planning permission across the borough.

The applicant, Tony Gannon, head of Downing Renewable Developments LLP, told councillors that this proposal helps counter the “increasing threat” to energy security nationally and that there is a “clear and urgent” need for developments of this sort.

Although more than 20 per cent of the space in question is classed as best agricultural land, Mr Gannon argued that the project helps contribute to food security, with better biodiversity and a contribution towards Net Zero targets anticipated. Sheep will also be able to graze under the panels.

However, two tenant farmers will lose the land as a source of income if the works go ahead.

A representative of the site’s owner, Freeby Estate, reassured members that these families had been offered alternative land, around 10 per cent larger than the area they would lose.

Some members of the committee feared the project could pose a serious fire risk.

Councillor Pip Allnatt, formerly the council’s leader, questioned why two water reserves were included in plans if the source of a potential fire would be electric.

Councillor Elaine Holmes pointed toward the gas pipe running through the centre of the site.

She said: “It is not a bit dangerous, it’s incredibly dangerous.

“When this was probably going to be messed about with, with somebody digging, they said if anything happened to it, it could kill most of the people in Melton. It’s that serious.”

However, officers said that a 16.5-metre corridor would prevent any work in the area where the pipe is, and both Cadent Gas and the Health and Safety Executive had no objections.

The applicant said they would make a £200,000 capital contribution to Freeby Parish Council to help manage construction disruption, and added they would fit five homes a year with solar panels as a gesture to the local community.

But councillors ultimately decided they didn’t have all the information they needed to make a decision and voted to defer the application.

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.