Flood defence in Cumbria approved after anti-social behaviour fears
Concerns were previously raised regarding anti-social behaviour
Last updated 8th Apr 2025
Plans to raise ground levels next to a flood defence wall in response to anti-social behaviour fears have been given the green light.
Westmorland and Furness Council has approved an application from the Environment Agency to regrade the ground levels in order to reduce the appearance of the defence from within New Road Common.
According to planning documents the application relates to the north-eastern section of the development site from the south of the pedestrian crossing towards Gooseholme Footbridge.
In September, members of South Lakeland local area planning committee approved plans to amend a section of the previously approved flood defence scheme on the western side of the riverbank of the River Kent.
However, concerns were previously raised regarding anti-social behaviour, with Councillor Matt Severn (Kendal Highgate, Lib Dems) stating the proposed solid stone walls would ‘reduce visibility’ into New Road Common.
Cllr Severn previously said: “I fear that the proposals as they stand would make New Road a no go area for some people as they would feel unsafe, and would be worried about harassment as they are no longer visible when exercising across the Common.
“The shielding of the Common from view would potentially enable antisocial behaviour, littering, graffiti and consumption of antisocial substances and could leave the Common an unloved space unused by most citizens.”
Objecting to the plans Councillor Shirley Evans (Kendal Nether, Lib Dems) previously said the proposals were ‘unacceptable’ and called on the Environment Agency to use glass panel walls instead of the proposed solid wall to maintain the views.
Richard Knight, flood risk manager for Cumbria for the Environment Agency, told the committee the use of glass in the scheme would add in the region of £750,000 in ‘additional unfunded cost’ and delay construction by a year.
He added: “The road safety audit recently undertaken demonstrates that to ensure public safety both for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicular, the introduction of glass so close to the road could require protection in the form of bollards or vehicle restraint systems. This could require the proposed wall to be set back even further into the common.
“This would reduce the openness to and from the common and could reduce the aesthetic value of the glass panels compromising their ability to provide open views in and out of the common.”
The application was approved on April 2.