'Not enough time' to finish trial into Cambridgeshire crane equipment death, jurors told
A new trial date has been set
A trial into the death of a mother struck by a lorry in Cambridgeshire has been adjourned.
Kevin Miller denies causing death by dangerous driving after Rebecca Ableman was hit while walking her two-year-old daughter on the B1050 in Willingham in September 2022.
Miller - of King's Lynn in Norfolk - today (Monday) wore a black suit while sat in the dock at Peterborough Crown Court listening to the short hearing through headphones.
Members of Ms Ableman's family - including her partner Chris Tuczemskyi - watched on from the public gallery.
The trial - which started last week - was expected to last up to seven days.
But speaking directly to jurors, prosecutor William Carter told jurors that he came to an agreement with defence barrister John Dye there "simply isn't enough time to complete this case in the slot we have available.
"We cannot rush or put anybody under pressure during proceedings; for that reason, we’ve taken the view to grasp the nettle," he said.
The trial had heard how Ms Ableman was struck by crane equipment loaded onto a trailer, making its way to King’s Lynn docks, while pushing a pram.
But jurors were told that Miller was not aware of what happened to Ms Ableman - who died of head and brain injuries three weeks after the incident - until later that day when he was arrested.
A date for the new trial - estimated to last two weeks - has been set for February 23 next year.