Center Parcs 'available to answer questions' as work on new holiday village increases

Author: Ally McGilvrayPublished 21st May 2026
Last updated 21st May 2026

As concerns are raised over the cost of a new path linking Hawick and Selkirk with the new Center Parcs development near Hassendean, the leisure giant has announced it's set to resume regular community drop-in sessions to allow the public to raise any issues.

Last week we reported Scottish Borders Council is consulting the public on plans for a new 11-mile route, which is expected to follow the A7 most of the way and cost between £12 million and £17 million to build.

With the number of commuting journeys expected to more than double following the opening of the new 700-lodge attraction in 2029, it's designed to make travelling safer for walkers, cyclists and horse riders.

However, some have complained the money would be better spent elsewhere, or invested in an alternative route away from the A7.

The development is separate to work approved in December to build Center Parcs first holiday village in Scotland - although the entrance, just off the A7 north of Hawick, has to be upgraded before work can proceed.

Planning permission for Center Parcs first holiday village in Scotland was granted in December.

Paul Hogarth, Community Liaison Officer for the project, will hold a drop-in session on the last Thursday of each month, with the first event taking place next Thursday, May 28th, from 10am to 4pm.

The monthly sessions will be held at South of Scotland Enterprise’s new Innovation & Advanced Manufacturing Hub on Buccleuch Road, formerly the Borders College Hawick Campus (TD9 0EH).

READ MORE: Ground-breaking! Work gets underway on Center Parcs first holiday village in Scotland

A spokesperson for the project said: "As activity around the site increases ahead of construction work beginning later this year, Paul will be available to answer questions, provide updates and listen to feedback from local residents, businesses and community groups."

The sessions follow a series of well-attended drop-in events held during the planning application phase last year.

The £450 million development is expected to create 800 jobs during the construction phase and a further 1,200 year-round jobs when it opens.

Paul Hogarth, Community Liaison Officer for Center Parcs.

Mr Hogarth said: “The development of Center Parcs Scottish Borders will be a major project for the region and we are keen to ensure local communities are kept informed as preparations move forward.

“As construction activity increases, these drop-in sessions will provide a regular opportunity for people to ask questions, raise any issues and hear more about the latest developments.

“While construction will understandably be a key topic, we are also keen to continue the conversation about the wider opportunities the project will bring, including local supply chain opportunities, future recruitment and the long-term benefits for the Borders.

“Whether someone has a detailed question or simply wants to pop in for five minutes to find out more, we will be very happy to talk."

For more stories from the Scottish Borders and North Northumberland, bookmark our home page - https://hellorayo.co.uk/greatest-hits/borders/news/

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.