Telford man jailed for driving over double the speed limit in Dawley
He was caught doing 60mph and 80mph in a 30 zone
A Telford man has been jailed for 12 months and given a 3-year-and-5-month driving ban for dangerously driving around Dawley in Telford earlier this week.
Officers followed 29-year-old Joshua New on Tuesday (25th Feb) at around 12.10am.
He then sped off from police doing around 60mph and 80mph in a 30 zone.
Joshua New of Crown Street in Dawley also refused to stop for Police.
Joshua's white Nissan Juke was then dumped in Chiltern Gardens before he made off down Dawley High Street on foot.
He was charged with driving a vehicle dangerously, two counts of driving whilst disqualified, two counts of driving with no insurance and failing to stop for police.
Joshua New pleaded guilty to all six charges.
Alongside his other punishments, he was also told to retake his driving test once the driving ban had ended.
PC Jack Jackson, from the West Mercia Police's Operations Policing Unit, said: “New's driving on Tuesday was extremely dangerous, especially when you consider the high speeds reached in such a residential part of Telford.
“New was aware that he was driving whilst disqualified and his willingness to engage in such risk taking to evade capture is something that caused us great concern.
“This was a team effort and if it wasn't for the commitment of all members of the team, we couldn't have achieved such a result in such a short space of time.
“I hope yesterday's sentence serves as a warning that we will work tirelessly to ensure any person who fails to comply with the requirements of the law, and/or places others in danger in doing so is put before the courts.
“New's actions on that evening could have had tragic consequences given the lack of care for the safety of others and himself.
"I am grateful that the Judge has clearly acknowledged our concerns and has handed out an appropriate sentence.”