Cleat Hill investigation 'remains ongoing' one year on from fatal explosion

Two people died as a result of the explosion and fire last year

Cleat Hill explosion site
Author: Ellie Cloute/Zoe Head-ThomasPublished 19th Oct 2025

Bedfordshire Police say an investigation into the fatal explosion at Cleat Hill, Bedford remains ongoing, as one year is marked since the incident.

The explosion happened on the morning of 19 October after a major gas leak was struck during construction work to install a ground source heat pump at the property. Emergency services were called just after 7.30am. A man was found dead at the scene, and a woman rescued by a member of the public later died in hospital.

The property was owned by Paul Swales, who lived there with his sister-in-law, Julia Harris. Mr Swales had hired a building company to construct an annex at the rear of the house. The drilling work, which involved making a 110-metre borehole, was subcontracted to another firm. On 2 July 2024, the drilling team struck a pocket of natural gas. Responders put in place methods to vent the gas, but management of the release was later handed back to the drilling company.

"This is a complex investigation"

Detective Chief Inspector Matt Inwood, of Bedfordshire Police, said: “Our investigation into the explosion and fire at a property in Cleat Hill, Bedford on 19 October last year remains ongoing.

“This is a complex investigation, and we continue to work with several partner agencies, including the Health and Safety Executive and the Coroner’s Office, to understand all aspects of this incident.

“As part of our standard investigative protocol for incidents of this nature, we are also maintaining regular engagement with the Crown Prosecution Service.

“Our thoughts remain with the family and friends of Mr Paul Swales and Ms Julia Harris, as well as the wider community affected, as the anniversary of this tragic incident approaches.”

Two months to return home

The blast in October 2024 saw 50 households evacuated, leaving many displaced for almost two months before they were allowed to return to their homes.

The wait was due to an extensive emergency response, prompted by the explosion, including gas safety checks, the installation of monitoring devices, and temporary housing for affected residents.

When it was announced residents could return home, those who spoke with Greatest Hits Radio commended the local response.

Susan Barnett, one of those affected, described the two months as challenging.

She said: "It’s not been easy, but the Council has made sure we were warm and safe. We’ve been well looked after by the fire service, the police, and everyone involved."

Another resident, John Parrot, who returned to his property shortly before, after initially purchasing his own gas monitoring devices, said: "We didn’t move in recklessly. We had monitoring equipment from day one, but now with the permanent devices provided by the Council, it feels much safer.

"It’s been very reassuring to have them around; the police, fire services, and gas testing teams have been respectful and helpful throughout."

Those evacuated were able to return home just before Christmas, with Bedford Borough Council confirming the cordon was lifted on December 13, 2024.

Hear all the latest news from across the UK on the hour, every hour, on Greatest Hits Radio on DAB, smartspeaker, at greatesthitsradio.co.uk, and on the Rayo app.